Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Why Felt Gaskets?

Options
BananaChipz
BananaChipz Posts: 207
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was searching various places (including here) for the answer, and came up blank...

Why does the BGE use material (felt, nomex) as a gasket? Wouldn't it make sense to have something like Silicone instead? Is there something I'm missing here?

I came across these guys: http://www.auburn-mfg.com/high_temperature_materials.html

It'd be interesting to see if some of that material would work.

Also: Anyone know *why* they recommend 3m Super 77 over say Silicone to adhear the gaskets?

Thanks in advance for your insights...

Comments

• Knauf
    Knauf Posts: 337
    Options
    I replaced mine with a nomex silicone based gasket from the mothership. I investigated the 3M 77 adhesive and could not find a temp rating for it anywhere. I ended up using a high temp rated spray adhesive from Wurth USA (rated to 200* and 240* intermitent). I felt more comfortable know the temp range than trusting that 3M is the best. I haven't had a problem with it yet and have about 50 cooks on it.
  • Bill0021
    Bill0021 Posts: 23
    Options
    Is nomex is made from silicone?
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Options
    No, Nomex is an arimid fiber more like kevlar.

Gator
  • Pork Butt Mike
    Pork Butt Mike Posts: 2,584
    Options
    This is what I use, for bonding and all types of projects.

http://www.promatech.co.uk/products/detail.asp?product=9394&cat=9494

Also this is what I am using for replacement gasket. It's non toxic and holds up great. Thanks to Bubba Tim turning me on to this company. ;)

http://www.promatech.co.uk/products/detail.asp?product=9483&cat=9466

I have the 395-81-PS 1/8" X 1" X 50'
    http://www.cotronics.com/vo/cotr/pdf/395-397.pdf
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    so where do you get it from Mike?
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    felt gaskets have been used from the beginning, when the egg wasn't taken to 800 degrees, and we didn't take them to 225 for overnight cooks. in the old handbook, the reference to the gasket is solely for its use in cushioning the dome when shutting.

obviously though, the egg is used differently now versus then, and we do need a better gasket solution.

BGE is trying to develop a solution that allows us to drive these things faster or with tighter tolerances.

i don't know if eventually they'll all ship with factory applied nomex, but that has been tested and approved by the lawyerly types.

but felt has momentum, and it's proven fine in the vast majority of cases. there's a lot of inertia
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Bill0021
    Bill0021 Posts: 23
    Options
    The Thermeez looks promising. Thanks Pork Butt Mike.

I am guessing that the Thermeez is better then the Nomex? I just really want to get my egg in proper working order and post some photos of cooks.

IMHO: This gasket issue is like buying an expensive designer umbrella that uses an incredible waterproof fabric but you can not get it too wet because the stitching is not waterproof.

I can appreciate a new company or a new product having bugs that need to be sorted out. How long have they been around? From the home page of the website: "The EGG can readily reach and maintain 750°F to ensure steakhouse searing" That is just one mention of many of its high heat capabilities. If the stitching can not handle the heat then it should not be advertised as such.
  • BananaChipz
    Options
    I just called those guys and talked to their tech. He said that fibres can come off in the food, and he doesn't recommend it for that use..
  • BananaChipz
    Options
    Agreed.. I guess that's my beef with them... Mine fried on my third use. You'd think by now they'd have a better solutions.
  • Pork Butt Mike
    Options
    I don't know who you talked to but it's not the same guy I talked to. If you install it right and the weight from the dome seals the Egg, how is the fiber going to get into your food. Don't have the gasket hanging over the edge on the inside, then your asking for problems. Bubba Tim lined all his Eggs with it and has no problem at all. You do what you think is best for you is all I can tell you. I am using this product and will swear by it. Again it's not toxic like other brands guys are using out there. They don't have a problem with theres.
  • Pork Butt Mike
    Options
    Julie give me a call I will hook you up. You should have my number in one of my e- mails.
  • Pork Butt Mike
    Options
    I will put it to you this way, I have a brand new nomex in the bag yet and I am using this stuff. ;)
  • BananaChipz
    Options
    What do you mean that felt has been "proven fine"? every second post is about someones gasket being fried. Sure there are precautions, but given the length of time this product has been out, the intended use, and the sheer cost of it all - you'd think they'd have something by now. OR at least ship this with Nomex gaskets or something.

The fact that I drop $1500 CDN then have to start using alcohol, acetone, and spray adhesive just so I can use it again is utterly ridiculous.

Don't get me wrong.. I love the product.. just a little peeved..
  • BananaChipz
    Options
    Hmmm... they tranferred me to the "tech"... Didn't catch his name.

Perhaps they are just being cautious, as there has been no approval for use around food.. I'm glad you have had success, but regardless, doesn't matter to me whether Bubba Tim lined his Egg's or his cereal bowls with it. Their tech told me not to, so I'm not going to. Call me cautious, paranoid...

What I don't get still is why not just silicone? A food safe silicon "sleeve that slides on to the rims (or adheres in some way).

Ahh well.. This dead horse has been beaten silly.. Still waiting for the Nomex gasket I ordered from FredsMusicAndBBQ.
  • stike
    Options
    you clipped my sentence. "it has proven fine in the vast majority of cases" is what i said. and that is not disputable.

for what it's worth, the issue is not the felt, it's the adhesive tape applied to a long run of gaskets. the adhesive has failed.

only rarely does the felt itself exhibit a problem, and in almost all cases, the felt has melted together after the egg has been left at extremely high temps (800-1100) for a long while.

the felt doesn't melt together in short cooks.

if it falls off, it's that sh!tty adhesive tape.

i understand that you are peeved. i'd be peeved to. but i wouldn't be peeved enough to clip things out of context.
  • BananaChipz
    Options
    Sorry.. didn't mean to clip your sentence.. If the felt is as good in the "vast majority" of cases, then why does everyone here try to find an alternative? Why is BGE even shipping a nomex gasket? If it's just the adhesive, then they would just find a new adhesive.. no?

In any case Whatever the issue is.. Felt, Adhesives, bad Karma, The Financial Meltdown: It's a problem. BGE needs to fix it..

They are just lucky that there is such a following on their product (becuase it's a good one!).. Otherwise people might be marching to Atlanta with torches and pickaxes shouting "ANARCHY!" :) :evil:
  • stike
    Options
    you are assuming that the 10% of the conversation here about gaskets means 10% of the gaskets out there are failing? or more?

who knows.

just don't generalize. "everyone" isn't exactly correct.

the felt on my small is fine.
    the felt on the guys i know who have eggs is fine. but it would be wrong for me to say that no one has issues with the felt

i have a rutland, for what it's worth, lest you think i'm pimping the felt.

it's just that if you hang around here long enough, you'll see it isn't as simple as you are implying. that said, i agree, and have said many times myself, that BGE needs to KILL the issue sooner rather than later. because it appears that some folks will think it is a much bigger, much more common problem than it really is.