Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

BGE Lid vs Base

johannjohann Posts: 111
edited 2:16AM in EggHead Forum
I just picked up my new lid(re: glaze falling off old one), and while putting the new lid on, I noticed that the top and bottom didn't line up very well at all. Like the back of the lid and the egg are flush to each other and the front of the lid and the bottom have a visible difference. its like my egg has a serious under bite. Which may have explained why I nuked my first gasket.

I was also irritated that the new lid came with the old grey gasket and not the new white gasket.

Its a good thing I'm not going to be doing pizza's on the egg(wife is gluten intolerant) cause I have a feeling anytime I try to get the thing up to 600 with a plate-setter that the way the lid sits it would burn up the gasket.

How do your lids match up?

Comments

• WokOnMediumWokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    Here is a pic.
    AllSetpost.jpg
    When I put my nomex I didn't line it up with the inside edge so you can really see the white around the seal.
  • AzScottAzScott Posts: 309
    Hi Johann,

The Eggs do change ever so slightly from one model year to the next. Small improvements if you will but most of them are very minor. I've put together quite a few Eggs and the tops are never flush with the bottom. No idea why but most of them have an underbite towards the front left. Why? I don't know.

The issue with the felt gaskets was the glue, not the gasket. That issue should be resolved but still working it's way out of warehouses and dealers every now in then. I don't believe, but may be wrong, that BGE is switching to nomex gaskets when there was nothing wrong with the felt other than the glue.
  • Grandpas GrubGrandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    "Why? I don't know"

Could be a lot of factors, depending on the manufacturing process.

Probably a mold or set of molds that have some sort of problem, getting old (poring too much and wearing), pressure on the green ware, pulling greenware from mold too soon. Greenware touching something when firing, kiln floor possibly not level in one area.

GG
  • Grandpas GrubGrandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    It is pretty hard to tell from your description. Line up the back and take some pictures and post.

Either use the felt gasket or remove it and replace with Nomex. As far as I have seen all eggs come with felt gaskets. Nomex so far has been user (or dealer) install to correct a bad batch of felt gaskets.

Just a thought, if both domes have had about the same under bite - possibly the 'fit' problem is with the base.

It seems to me base and dome should be "somewaht close" both horizontally and vertically.

I think most of my eggs have some under bite but not very much at all. Not sure what "serious" means. If a large amount of base/dome is over hanging, I would want that resolved.

This sounds like something Dealer/BGE is going to have to resolve.

GG
  • johannjohann Posts: 111
    I will try to post pictures, Its hard to say though as I didn't notice with the first lid, and I don't have an apple's to apples comparison as I have no gasket on the base and the old lid, and the new lid has a gasket.

I did put the thing back with the old lid to see how things lined up, and it seems to have some underbite with that. The new lid seems to have more, but that could be just more noticeable with the gasket on.

I hesitate to go back to the dealer since I was their first warranty ever.

I am now curious how the small egg in my garage will go together.

On the small egg they did say they would send it with the new gasket.
  • BullyCBullyC Posts: 142
    Hi Johann

Don't worry, mine did not match up either, I got a new
    base from BGE and it was a little smaller, meaning when
    I tightened the band the bolts almost touch. the top band when tightened is at least a inch away, thats how I know there not exact. Remember the egg is NOT machined
    to exact tolerances and size. Should be, but there not.
    Use the nomex gasket you will love. fire resistant and
    holds in heat well. I have no leaks in mine at all.
    I have read many who said use no gasket, fine if that works. I think you get even a better seal if use gasket.
    If gonna do a lot of direct, hot cooking, yeah not having a gasket is no biggie cause even without gasket,
    the BGE probably seals better than a weber dome.
    Good luck BullyC
    I'm going to use the gasket, I have it sitting here ready, the 3m 77 adhesive is in the mail though, and the weather has been very cold.

I was just worried about the 1/8" of lid/gasket in the egg from the underbite and what that means for high temperature cooking with the lid shut. Seems like it would burn/melt the gasket.
  • jphgatorjphgator Posts: 19
    I have the same "underbite...front and left." I was concerned when I got mine a week-and-a-half ago that this would be a problem. It doesn't seem to be.
    back lid

hpim2093.jpg

front lid

hpim2092.jpg

I have a picture from inside also,but you can't tell much other than the top is white(new) and the bottom is black(cooked)
    It did smell a little off when I was grilling last night also, wonder if its the gasket baking on? Or burning up internally