Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket, Foil or Not?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi All,
I saw a BBQ video that says you should foil your brisket when it hits 140 degrees. At 140 the brisket starts to drop its juices and the foil keeps it moist. Any thoughts?[p]Thanks,
Bob

Comments

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    BobM,
    I'm a foiler, but I think 140° is low. I wait till the collagens have had more time to break down, more like 175°. Understand at the same time, I don't trim my brisket - mama said "if you paid for it, cook it" - so moistness isn't usually a problem.[p]Ken

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    BobM,
    I've cooked about six briskets so far and have not used foil at all in the cooking process. The BGE helps to retain moisture so there is no need for foil. After I take it off the Egg I wrap the brisket in foil and some towels to let it cool down slowly. I think this helps to retain the juices inside the brisket. More important, it allows me to schedule the meal a little better. You will probably get a few comments on the value of foil cooking. I say try it both ways and do what works best for you.[p]Spring Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• Unknown
    Options
    BobM,
    If your going to use foil you might as well cook it in the kitchen oven. If you don't trim it too much it will baste itself..I cook brisket at 230*. [p]good eating!

• Unknown
    Options
    Thanks for all your help! The guy who used the foil was cooking on an metal smoker so it looks like that doesn't apply to us!

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    I don't use foil during the cooking process, Bob. You should use the foil wrap method when you take it off the grill, though. Wrap tightly and put in oven or cooler and let it rest for an hour or more. It makes all the difference in the world![p]Jim