Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What's the best way to do a 1/2 boston butt???

Options
BubbaGump
BubbaGump Posts: 39
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I wanna do a 1/2 of a butt Saturday. What's the best way to do one. Brine like Alton did last night. No brine. Any kind of overnight marinade at all? I need full ddetails as I'm firing her up 1st thing Saturday. The only wood I have until Monday is mesquite and hickory and I don't care too much for hickory. I have no dizzy pig unless it comes in before I begin which I doubt it will. Any thoughts on the best way to do it????[p]
Thanks pros!
Buster

Comments

• GaDawg
    GaDawg Posts: 178
    Options
    BubbaGump,
    How much does it weigh? I would dry rub it
    and go indirect over a drip pan at around 250
    degrees for an overnight cook. My last cook was
    two 5 pound butts for about 14 hours.[p]Chuck

• BubbaGump
    BubbaGump Posts: 39
    Options
    GaDawg,[p]This will only be about a 6lb smoke. I'm only gonna do a 1/2 butt. How long will that be at 250??? What was alton's brine mixture. I didn't write it down and can't remember. [p]Thanks!
    Buster

• GaDawg
    GaDawg Posts: 178
    Options
    BubbaGump,[p] I'd figure 12 hours or so. I've never brined a butt
    and don't think it's necessary. Let us know how you do.[p]Chuck

• bigmikej
    bigmikej Posts: 216
    Options
    BubbaGump,
    Check foodtv.com. Thay save most of the recipes on their shows.

[ul][li]AB's Pulled Pork[/ul]
  • willmw
    willmw Posts: 41
    Options
    BubbaGump,
    I coat mine in (wal*mart purchased) Lawry's beef and pork rub and plain old yellow mustard 16-18 hours at 225-250 over a drip pan. Last one I sprinkled a little kosher salt on the top of the fat layer, just for a change...[p]If they get any better, I'm not sure I could stand the results :-)