Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Egg owner

Options
UKMatt
UKMatt Posts: 113
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi,

Just a quick post to say I got a new Large BGE this weekend. I've been wishing for one for a while and I finally took the plunge.

Here it is:

DSCN1166.JPG

I have some new legs on order as I actually bought the model with wheels and only realized when I got it home that the table didn't have them. I am also waiting on a pizza stone, a plate setter, a cover and some other bits and pieces.

I have some informal plans for a lift up extension table that will go on one end and fold down to allow us to use the standard cover...

And here's the first meal I cooked (all of it on the egg) - Veal chops rubbed with garlic and fresh herbs with some fingerling potatoes and asparagus:

DSCN1169.JPG

That was Saturday... on Sunday I tried some ribs (left them on too long as I had to use direct heat with no plate setter... temperature control is fantastic though so excited about smoking later).

On Monday we had a ribeye, grilled on the egg...

On Tuesday we had lamb shoulder, marinaded and then grilled on the egg...

Last night I grilled some pizzas direct on the egg - fantastic!

Loving the egg, just worried about the waistline at this rate :)

UKMatt

Comments

• c tredwell
    c tredwell Posts: 575
    Options
    Congrats on your purchase, and welcome to the cult! :woohoo: Looks like your pics maybe too large, can't see them. Sounds like you're off to a great start with that menu, keep it up!

Welcome!!
    ctredwell
    go dawgs
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Congratulations, and portion control is the thing you will need to learn after temperature control. ;)

>left them on too long as I had to use direct heat with no plate setter... temperature control is fantastic though so excited about smoking later

You can do ribs direct if you place them on an elevated grill, and a very low fire. Also, mopping them helps in a direct cook. And you can get pretty good IR blockage from just a drip pan.
  • UKMatt
    Options
    You can do ribs direct if you place them on an elevated grill, and a very low fire. Also, mopping
    them helps in a direct cook. And you can get pretty good IR blockage from just a drip pan.

Thanks - I have seen several mentions of elevated grill - what do people use to elevate the grill?

Also, where do you place the drip pan?

Thanks again!

UKMatt
  • UKMatt
    Options
    c tredwell wrote:
    Congrats on your purchase, and welcome to the cult! :woohoo: Looks like your pics maybe too large, can't see them. Sounds like you're off to a great start with that menu, keep it up!

Welcome!!
    ctredwell
    go dawgs

Thanks a lot - I am not sure about the pics - I can see them when I view the thread... they're about 350kb each but I resized to 450pixels in the message.

Sorry about that... can anyone see them?

UKMatt
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Options
    Congrats, Matt. Great job, so far.

BTW a drip pan with an inverted V-rack works good for ribs, as does a store-bought rib rack.

From your handle, I assume you are in the UK?

Tell me how you did the lamb shoulder. I have done legs before with fantastic results (herbed butter rub and slow cook), but a friend gave me a bone-in shoulder and I'm not sure how to cook it.

Thanks.
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Pics not visible.

www.ceramicgrillstore.com has many good accessories for the large. I have the adjustable rig and use it on most cooks.

Without an elevated grid, you can put the drip pan on the main grid with a V-rack or rib rack sitting in the drip pan.
  • UKMatt
    Options
    Misippi Egger wrote:
    From your handle, I assume you are in the UK?

Good guess... but I am in the Great State of Texas :-) But originally from the UK so you were almost right!

Misippi Egger wrote:
    Tell me how you did the lamb shoulder. I have done legs before with fantastic results (herbed butter
    rub and slow cook), but a friend gave me a bone-in shoulder and I'm not sure how to cook it.

I was aiming for a spicy lamb to slice thinly for pita bread sandwiches... so I boned and butterflied the lamb and marinaded in greek yoghurt, cayenne, garlic, cumin, corriander, S&P.

I then cooked it almost like a steak - nuclear power for searing and then closed all the vents and let it cook to my preferred internal temp.

UKMatt
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    BGE sells a grill extender, but you can make one from a spare grill from other cookers, and some bolts and washers. Once you have the elevated grill, which sits over the basic grill, the drip pan sits on the bottom grill.

In a pinch, you can raise the basic grill on some fire brick splits, and, as Misippi mentions, put a pan, or even HD foil under a V-rack to catch dripping and deflect the IR.
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    Thin fire brick turned on there side and placed on fire ring where grill reast now. Then place grill on top of the brick and just wire a tin plate dropped down an inch or so underneath. Kind of a mess. The platesetter is so much easer and I wrap the top up side of platesetter in foil. Clean up a breaze. ;)
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Oh my! Not Texas ! What a culture shock for a Brit. (Sorry, Spring Chicken). :ohmy: ;) :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Sounds good! Thanks.

I gather, like pork, the shoulder is not as tender as the leg.
  • UKMatt
    Options
    Misippi Egger wrote:
    Oh my! Not Texas ! What a culture shock for a Brit. (Sorry, Spring Chicken). :ohmy: ;) :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Sounds good! Thanks.

I gather, like pork, the shoulder is not as tender as the leg.

We lived in California for 12 years before coming down to GSOT last year... we're loving it so far!

The shoulder isn't the most tender part of the lamb for sure but slicing it thin across the grain results in tasty meat that's plenty tender.

UKMatt
  • UKMatt
    Options
    Misippi Egger wrote:
    Pics not visible.

I tried loading them from a different site - are they visible now?

UKMatt
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Great pics.

Now I'm hungry !!!!
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    Welcome and it looks like you are off and running :) you have some good eggs in your part of the country from what I hear. see if you can hook up at an egg fest. they are worth every bit of effort it takes to get there!
  • danny285
    danny285 Posts: 360
    Options
    welcome aboard, Pictures look great here.
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    Welcome to the club / cult….
    I’ve got good pics, but I have to assume that was after the edit. Looks like a VERY nice meal.
    Look forward to hearing from you here on the forum.
    BTW, I did a raised rig with a Webber grid and three 3/8” x 4” SS bolts….It works great.
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    Right after I posted…I realized I had photos of the “home made grid”!
    Of course I had to get them to Photobucket first, but here they are.

Egggrid001a.jpg
    Egggrid002a.jpg

It REALLY is a simple process and works well. I did leave the handles on but bent them inward a bit for a better fit in the dome. With a 3-1/2" bolt, this would not even need to be done.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Texas is May 9th
    www.bbqoutfitters.com
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• DryFly
    DryFly Posts: 351
    Options
    ME is correct! CGS has great accessories. I find them more versatile and of very high quality. The Adjustable Rig or the Woo2 with a 14" stone, 14" drip pan, 18" stainless steel grid and the Spider are just about all you need for now, or maybe ever depending on how much you need to cook. I added their extender rack and 15" BGE porcelain rack to increase amount I can cook. Good Luck. You'll have a ball with your Egg and the folks on this site are the best!
  • PWise
    PWise Posts: 1,173
    Options
    Congrats on your new egg... I'm guessing you already love it... I too used to use a Weber Kettle and now have even given it away to some poor chap who couldn't get his hands on an egg...

great photos, keep posting them!

cheers!!
  • Sooner Egg
    Sooner Egg Posts: 578
    Options
    that new a egg is a thing of beauty, congrats on the purchase and *cheers to great food, good friends and long life*