Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

cooking a roast on my med. egg w/o a rub

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
i would like to cook a roast on
my egg but i did'nt marinate it.
any suggestions on how to cook it!

Comments

• Mike in MN
    Mike in MN Posts: 546
    Options
    don freybler,
    Pork or beef?[p]Season as you normally would if you were going to bake it in the oven. Time and temps are determined by size and type of roast, and how long you have before you want to eat the finished product. Low temps and long cooks are my preference, but sometimes the schedules won't allow it. A Polder style thermometer is a necessity, so you can guage the progress without opening the lid.[p]Mike in MN

• Unknown
    Options
    beef raost 4.5 lbs

• Mike in MN
    Options
    don freybler,[p]I'd use my favorite steak seasoning, applied liberally about 20 minutes before grill time. Rub the seasoning into the meat. I'd allow the meat to set out and warm maybe an hour ahead of time. I'd preheat the grill to maybe 450-500, no extra smoke, and sear the meat on a couple of sides before shutting down and allowing the temp to drop to maybe 275-300 and cook until the meat was done to an internal of 125-130. A direct cook, and a Polder would be required to monitor the progress. When you got to within about 5 degrees of done, I'd pull it and let it set on the counter for 10-15 minutes before I did any slicing. [p]The whole process might take 1.5 hours. [p]You could try some different seasonings, or rub with olive oil, or an Italian salad dressing. Stuff some garlic slivers into it, basil leaves?? Make a Chimichurri sauce to cover it. [p]Saute some fresh sliced mushrooms with garlic, onions, oregano, salt and pepper, red wine and butter- finish with a spritz of lemon and bingo![p]I'm going to a graduation party in a little while...suppose I'll get to have a gaggy, salty ham sandwich and potato chips. Oh boy. [p]Mike in MN

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    don freybler,
    I've cooked some 4 pound bottom round roasts on the egg. I rub them with olive oil and then coat with Dizzy Pig or Dizzy Pig Cow Lick. Montreal Steak Seasoning would be good too. I then just roast them at 350 until the internal temp gets to where you want it. I use lots of smoke because beef can sure take it and I love it. Since this meat is a bit tough, I slice it thin. Turns out great and is great for sandwhiches later, too.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Mike in MN
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    At my house, the wife dislikes the smoke on beef, so I keep it light to allow the beef flavor to come through. I'd probably jazz it up if I wasn't under heavy scrutiny....but...you know the old saying "If she ain't happy, you ain't happy!"[p]
    Mike in MN

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Mike in MN,
    Like I say, I'm a smoke slut, er, lover....[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Unknown
    Options
    don freybler,
    Simple rub of Black pepper and kosher salt liberally applied is amazingly flavorful on a beef roast.