Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Successful first Butt

Options
Tenn Smoker
Tenn Smoker Posts: 123
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Sorry if I get long winded but I am just so satisfied with my, oops, our egg. This is how it went.

Took the butt out of fridge about 8pm to get to room temp, if that was wrong tell me. Probably did not get to room temp though. Loaded lump earlier in the day just because I had to do something, up to the fire ring and mixed dry jack daniels chip into the lump. I fired her up about 9:30pm and let it burn till 10:00pm which is when I rubbed my butt and sent her off to her first journey.

I had to baby sit until 1am which is when I went to bed and she was about 255 dome and steady, just a little nervous. Woke up at 3am and dome was 140 in just 2 hours. Glad I checked and I did not mind doing that. Went back to bed and at 7am the dome was still hovering at 250 dome and internal was 192, man was I getting excited now. Went to church, got home at 10am and internal was at 201 with dome hovering around 200. That was all the egg had in her as the lump was about gone.

Anyhow, I think I did pretty darn good for my first sleep over. Here are some pics. Notice how the lump in gone.

002.jpg
001-1.jpg
002-1.jpg
003-1.jpg
004-1.jpg
006.jpg
008.jpg

Comments

• usc1321
    usc1321 Posts: 627
    Options
    Nice looking cook. WEll Done ;)B)
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Options
    Bet ya next time you will include a drip pan. :blink:
  • Tenn Smoker
    Options
    Morro Bay,

I think I should and I did consider it but I had just been scraping it when it cools. Its been wrap for over an hour getting ready to pull.
  • WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    Options
    and another butt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :woohoo:

Two is better than one at my house :laugh:
  • rsmdale
    rsmdale Posts: 2,472
    Options
    Just had carnitas tacos with the last of fridays butt, so many uses so good.Good eats and good luck
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    Good looking Butt and very nice rig. Did you get the recipe I sent You Tenn Smoker?
  • Tenn Smoker
    Options
    Thanks everyone, this is realy fun. Thanks for the taco idea and I will check my email for the receipe. We made a pork tenderloin lask week with bisquits on the griddle and used left overs on tostadas and burritos.
  • Boxerpapa
    Boxerpapa Posts: 989
    Options
    Real nice cook you have there. However, I do have a dumb question: how do you scoop out the ashes from your Egg without making a mess with that nice looking table? I'm in the process of building a table and was curious about the ash mess.

Tnx
  • Tenn Smoker
    Options
    Also, can someone tell me the purpose of wraping the butt in foil, towel and placing in a cooler, what are we trying to acomplish.
  • Tenn Smoker
    Options
    Boxerpapa,

I use a plate to scrape the ashes onto then blow off the loose ashes with a very complex and sophistacated system, :ohmy: take a deep breath and exhale real hard. Shhh, dont tell anyone. ;)
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    Great job, Joe!

As far as the drip pan, in addition to keeping your plate setter clean, if you keep a little liquid like apple juice in it, it will keep the fat drippings from burning off an acrid smoke once they burn.

Letting it come up to room temp: That's a common theme and there have been several threads about it on here with objective tests measuring surface and internal temp over time, etc, etc, etc. Long story short? It's a personal preference but I don't do it.

Looks like you are coming along great. It's always good to see another East Tn egger involved here! One day maybe we can have our own mini Egg Fest if we get enough of us:)

Have a great weekend!
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Tenn Smoker
    Options
    Swibirun,

I think I will try the apple cider pan next time. Being as excited to try my first one I just rubbed it and ran with it. I am in Maryville and yes it would be great to have our own fest.

What lump are you using and how long have you been at this
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Sure looks good from this end. A little drip pan or some foil would be nice over that plate setter.

For filling up to the fire ring it doesn't look like too much lump was used.

My only problem with the whole cook is that I didn't do one yesterday.

Looks great & thanks for sharing.

GG
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    I've had my Egg for 1 year and 1 month but smoked on a cheap offset smoker for a few years before that.

Mostly I use BGE lump but lately I've been liking Full Circle lump. You can get it at Food City or at Butler & Bailey Market (Northshore & Morell, near Pellissippi parkway).

Feel free to email me in the future with any questions. I certainly don't know it all but will be glad to help a local egger!
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Tenn Smoker
    Options
    Thanks Chris, I did notice the big orange and blue store have cowboy priced at 6.99 for 9lbs. I believe I have that right. I will shoot you an email sometime.
  • Cory430
    Cory430 Posts: 1,073
    Options
    If you run that lump up to the top edge of the fire ring, you'll have a bit more wiggle room towards the end of the cook :)