Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

XL pizza stone problem

Options
Big Polish
Big Polish Posts: 23
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a new xl egg and i went to use the pizza stone for the first time i put deflector shiel feet down pizza stone on top.

Got the grill to 650 and when i went to put the pizza in the whole gasket melted off and slid into the grill

The store I bought the grill said you cant get the oven that hot when using the stone

any advise or comments would be appreciated

Comments

• MilitantSquatter
    Options
    That stinks..

Most will recommend to avoid high heat cooks to start and doing several lower heat cooks to let the gasket set properly.. Also it was noted that BGE had some defective gaskets recently.

You'll need to spend some some scraping the old, cleaning and then replacing the gasket. Dealer or BGE in ATL should be able to get you a replacement
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    Apparently BGE had a bad batch of gaskets, Probably no fault of the plate setter or stone. Just call BGE Mother Ship and they will probably ship you an upgraded Nomex Gasket. 770-934-5300. Also You might want to put a little space between the plate setter and the stone. Nothing to do with the gasket but when the stone is directly on the plate setter it may get hotter on the bottom than you want it to.
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Options
    650 is too hot for pizza. 550 is more than enough.
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    I use the plate setter feet up most of the time when I can, It keeps the more intense heat a little further from the gasket and allows a little more room for a drip pan. Alot of the gasket problems have been with high heat using a plate setter feet down where it heat comes around the platesetter at gasket level. If you do not yet have a lot of bells and whistles Try this nex time you do a pizza. Platesetter feet up and put the stone on the Grid. You get an inch or so between the stone and platesetter and keeps direct heat away from the gasket. I have done some baking this way and worked out great on the pizza. I just did a pizza yesterday and it was cooked very even with the bottom of the crust. Just another way to skin a cat so to speak.
  • Big Polish
    Options
    Thanks all for your input.
    Panhandle, I am making pizza dough and trying your suggestion tonight. Ill let you know how it turns out.

Jeff
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    Good luck, I think you will like the cook and the consistancy. I laso cooked mine around 400. It didn't take but about 15 minutes or so.
  • steveo29
    steveo29 Posts: 46
    Options
    That's way too hot. Also sounds like you're having the gasket problem. There should have been an extra gasket included with the egg you bought. It's provided by BGE because the primary gaskets have the wrong adhesive on it and come off when heat is applied. Put the extra gasket on and you'll be fine. It has the correct adhesive on it. If you didn't receive the gasket when you purchased it..call the mothership and let them know. They should send you another felt gasket.or... You could pay a bit extra and get the nomex.
  • joeegg
    joeegg Posts: 1
    Options
    Same thing happen to me last week but at 550. Mothership said they had a batch of bad gaskets. Sent me a nomex at no charge. Arrived only 2 days after I called. Great service.
  • Tenn Smoker
    Tenn Smoker Posts: 123
    Options
    Big Polish,

Happened to me two weeks after I got my egg and I was doing a premature high temp cleaning. Went to my dealer and they gave me a new felt gasket and I did not have much to clean off actually nothing. I will call the mothership and hopefully they will send the nomex that I will set aside for a back up.