Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

brisket temp probe

Options
Inksmyth
Inksmyth Posts: 308
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
First time cooking a brisket with a temp probe. Where should the probe be inserted? The thickest, thinnest or the middle?

Comments

• rsmdale
    rsmdale Posts: 2,472
    Options
    I just finished a 16lb, I always put the probe in the thickest part.I seem to have good luck so far, but see what the pros have to say. Good luck and good eats.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    I place mine in the middle, vertically and horizontally.

I check final result in the largest with a thermapen.

GG
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    DSC07298bb.jpg

How big is this brisket??

First off, don't get in a hurry about taking its temperature. But do watch the pit temp, that's what's important. Guesstimate the cooking time, (let's say you figure on 12 hours), at about 8 or 9 hours stick it with an ice pick and see how it feels......If it's getting tender, go ahead and stick the temp probe into the thickest area of the flat. Don't worry about the point. When the internal temp rises above 185°, check the tenderness again with the ice pick, this will be a good baseline for tenderness. Every 5° later, check it. When it feels tender, it is ready to be wrapped in foil and rested an hour or so in an empty cooler with some newspaper for insulation.

Now, if you plan on resting 2,3 or 4 hours, you need to pull it off the pit BEFORE it's really tender as the cooler time is also cooking time.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Michael B
    Michael B Posts: 986
    Options
    From the side, in the flat.
  • Cactus Doug
    Cactus Doug Posts: 341
    Options
    I have to agree with Thirdeye and Mike on this one. I put my probe in the thick part of the flat. In my mind I want the flat to be cooked perfectly, because thats where you get those great slices of meat. The point usually gets chopped up w. sauce or goes back on for burnt ends, leftovers etc... Good luck with that cook please post results.