Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Halibut

Options
Banker John
Banker John Posts: 583
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My dad is leaving for Alaska on Thursday for 22 days of fishing & vacation. (Yes - I am jealous of him). He cleaned out the deep freeze to get ready for all the Salmon and Halibut that will get shipped back to Florida. He sent me some Halibut, packed neatly in FoodSaver bags. Some packs of the fish were dated as old as July 2001.[p]I fired the egg and smoked the Halibut all morning. It was my first time smoking Halibut since I usually fry Halibut.[p]MMM good. I'm glad I'll have another 30-40 pounds being delivered toward the end of July! I now have a new way to prepare this delicacy.[p]Banker John

Comments

• Rumrunner
    Rumrunner Posts: 563
    Options
    banker john,
    Well, in case you don't have enuf room in your freezer, I suppose, being the good guy that I am, I could drive up there and fetch what you can't fit in ;)

• RayS
    RayS Posts: 114
    Options
    banker john,[p]Did you use a brine on the halibut? What wood did you use?[p]I did a salmon fillet last weekend using the 3men method for brine and hickory for the smoke. I normaly do salmon steaks but I thought the fillet was better tasting. I left the skin on. I think this contributed to the taste as most of the oil stayed in the meat.[p]
    RayS

• Unknown
    Options
    RayS,
    I use a dry brine with no real recipe; a mixture of mostly salt & brown sugar, lemon zest, paprika, black pepper, white pepper. Place in zip lock overnight. I use alder & grapefruit wood to smoke. Every 45 minutes or so, I brush with butter & paprika.[p]I keep the temp as low as I can get, usually about 195, and smoke until done. Total time depends on how much is in the grill and how thick the fish pieces are.[p]Banker John