Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
As we round out National BBQ Month, we hope you’ve gotten to try some new recipes that will keep you cooking all summer long. Check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

nomex gasket for XL BGE

GrillDaddyGrillDaddy Posts: 295
edited 6:31PM in EggHead Forum
I am ready to install my Nomex gasket. For people how have done this. Did you remove the LID? If not, any tips? as you will be spraying 3m Super 77 adhesive upside down? I've been reading about other products be used instead of 3m Super 77 adhesive on this forum as well.

thanks all
·

Comments

• RollocksRollocks Posts: 570
    I removed mine when I replace it. Don't know if it was necessary. You will, however, most likely have to loosen the top band in order to adjust the way the top sits. The nomex gasket is thicker than the felt gasket and will impact the way the lid rests when closed.
    ·
  • GrillDaddyGrillDaddy Posts: 295
    Rollocks - thanks for the reply and tips
    ·
    did you use 3m Super 77 adhesive
    ·
  • Grandpas GrubGrandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    If you loosen the bands, be careful as you don't want to be buying a new dome.

There was a post a while back where someone sprayed the 3M-77 into a cup then brushed it on.

GG
    ·
    Nice Tip GG! I really prefer not to take off the lid. Spraying 3M Super 77 adhesive in a cup and brushing it on sounds like go way to good.
    Thanks!
    ·
  • Tenn SmokerTenn Smoker Posts: 123
    Just last week I read where someone was using hi temp caulk and then using a course saw blade to level it, similar to how you put down adhesive for tile.
    ·
  • Woody69Woody69 Posts: 360
    I took mine off. I always say "do it right, or do it over"...... ;)
    ·