Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Burnt Gasket

Options
Tenn Smoker
Tenn Smoker Posts: 123
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
:( Hello Everyone, great to be here.
I have had my egg for 2 weeks now and must have cooked on it almost every day and I am speechless. Besides being green, no pun intended, I am very impressed with the ease at which the egg cooks. My problem is I thought I would do a hi-temp burn off after cooking while we ate. About 15 minutes into the burn I thought I would open the egg to see how the cleaning process was going. When I opened the egg my felt was burned and stuck together, what did i do wrong.

Comments

• Ribhead
    Ribhead Posts: 123
    Options
    BGE had a gasket/adhesive issue on a few hundred units. Looks like you got one with the adhesive issue. Call BGE customer service and have them send you a new Nomax gasket. The customer service is great and you shouldnt have any problems! they will also explain the fix to you!
  • MilitantSquatter
    Options
    I've not experienced it, but the general rule of thumb is to do several lower temp cooks first to let the gasket set properly.

It will take some work, but you can remove and replace the gasket.. Nomex gasket is the preferred choice.
  • stan
    stan Posts: 51
    Options
    You didn't do anything wrong. The egg has had an issue burning gaskets. Call your dealer or Atlanta and have a new Nomex gasket sent to you. They are easy to install and should resolve the issue. There are a number of threads that will detail how to install. Welcome to egg ownership. The food is worth the gasket oops.
  • Tenn Smoker
    Options
    Am I to assume the Nomex gasket is not felt. I did notice the gasket appeared to be applied with a type of double faced film plus out of curosity I did ask my dealer how long the gasket should last, way to jynx myself, and they said almost indefinetly but if I had any problems they would just give me some new felt.
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    The replacement Nomex is on the right. The 4.4 oz 3M Super 77 Adhesive seems to be plenty to do the dome and base of my large. I have had to replace just the dome gasket and still feels like alot left in the can to do much more.

gasketsglue.jpg
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Tenn Smoker
    Options
    Ok, thanks everyone. I will get on this tomorrow as I don't want any down time. Gotta keep my baby hot.
  • Cactus Doug
    Cactus Doug Posts: 341
    Options
    Glad to hear you are liking your egg. Gasket replacement is easy, there is plenty of help here on the forum. You did say that you were doing a cleaning burn. I tend to only do cleaning burns when there is a decent layer of buildup in the dome, pretty infrequently actually, maybe once a year. Good luck.
  • Tenn Smoker
    Options
    Yes a cleaning burn and I know it was premature but my plate was looking caked so I scraped it and wanted to see what everything looked like after a burn. I won't be doing another burn for a long time after this.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    :laugh: you have an email via BGE.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Tenn Smoker
    Options
    RRP,
    I have no email. Should I expect it tomorrow.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    I'm not sure what mode you have signed on under so you can't get jack squat, guy - let alone see anything in an order that makes any sense to you! Please go back and look around and figure it out. OK?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • BullyC
    BullyC Posts: 142
    Options
    HI Smokin Joe
    To help out, other people are right, call
    BGE customer service and they will send new
    Nomex Gasket. Much more fire retardant than
    felt. Watch WWW.Fredsmusicandbbq.com
    He shows you in video how to install new
    Gasket. Make sure clean, no sticky residue
    left on egg. Spray egg surface with 3msuper 77, then apply gasket. Be careful at end so they match up. Again watch Video
    good luck BullyC
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Fugettaboutit!!! You don't even need a gasket if your dome and top are properly aligned.I'm a NEWBIE but it didn'nt take long to figure it out.If you don't believe me ask BENTE ,he knows!!! All the gasket does is provide a buffer for when the two ceramic parts "DOME" and "BASE"collide.A cushion,if you will.USELESS.I'm probably gonna get thrown off he FORUM,but that's my story and I'M STICKING WITH IT!!! :whistle:
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    You may want to change your handle... as there's been a "Smokin Joe" on this forum, (from Atlanta) for about 4 years now!

It many not go over so well with him :blink: ...and will obviously cause confusion!

Congrats on your new egg...btw!!

Evans
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Hoss,

A lot of folk cook without gaskets and badly worn gaskets and have great results.

The cushion is one aspect, however, shutting down the egg with air passing in the through the dome/base will take longer and burn more lump, which may or may not be an issue.

The potential air gap may also be a problem with holding low temperatures.

Some folk like to have the gasket there because it was there when it was new.

Just a couple of more things to think about.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Smokin Joe, If you decide to follow the video the cleaning method is the hard way to do it.

Use the scraper shown by the assistant or you can use heat.

When cleaning the adhesive and remaining gasket off, I like to use 91% alcohol.

Work in 8 to 10 inch lengths at a time. Liberally wet down the first section and let the alcohol (or acetone if that what you decide to use) sit - let it do the work. If that section is pretty goopy use the scraper again. If not use a rag and wipe it off.

Now soak that section again and again let it sit. Then wipe up. The area should be clean at this point. If it is clean move to the next section.

I usually work 2 sections at a time. When I put the alcohol on the second time on the first section I put the 1st soaking on the next section. Don't let either section dry out before scraping/wiping.

You should be able to clean a large top & bottom in 15 to 20 minutes. I remove the dome to clean the top surface.

Don't use grinders or sanders, although some will say to do that. Call BGE service, you will learn it voids the warranty.

GG
  • snoqualmiesmoker
    Options
    Call the dealer you bought it from. See if they will help.
  • Tenn Smoker
    Options
    Thanks again everyone but RRP, don't know why he is an ass towards me. I don't have a problem changing my handle plus I did not know they could be duplicated. Look forward to meeting some nice people.