Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beans & everything else

Options
Bordello
Bordello Posts: 5,926
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
P5270002.jpg
<p />With Banker John posting about beans the other day I decided I would give it a go. I used red kidney beans and black beans, soaked overnight, drained, added clean water and cooked on the stove till tender. I had to leave so I drained them a put in the fridge for later.[p]It's now "later"
Put the beans in dutch oven, in a pan I gently heated some water,Big Chief BBQ sauce,brown sugarand ketchup to pour over the beans. I added everything but the kitchen sink. Roasted bell pepper,one slab of baby backs that I cooked the other day. They were a little salty so I cut em up and into the beans they went, a little bacon,one chopped vidalia onion, a mixture of the new Dizzy Pig rubs, a little maple syrup,a bit of differen extracts.[p]Into the egg last night around 8 or so, took them out at 7 this morning, removed the now naked ribs bones. These turned out great, neighbors are in for another treat. Forgot, included a 1/2 bottle of beer, I got the other half. LOL[p]Cheers,
New Bob

Comments

• Bordello
    Options
    P5280003.jpg
    <p />Here is the picture I took this morning just before removing from Mr. Egg.[p]I don't know how to multi pic. post yet so had to do this way.[p]Cheers,
    New Bob

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    New Bob,
    Yowza that looks good. I have a bunch of rib trimmings from the weekend, and you have inspired me bigtime. The beer sounds especially good right now..LOL.[p]Not sure it looks like a perfect dish for the 107 degree weather you are having, but it sure would be good here in the rainy cold east! Our heater has been running lately. Hard to believe it is amost June. That dish looks like it would warm the soul, Bob![p]Thanks for the ideas! I think I'll take you up on that jar of sunshine you were talking about sending!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Bordello
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    Thanks, maybe I could send a bowl of beans with the jar of sunshine I'm to capture for you. Sorry you are having to run the heater, this is the first day I put the air on, have it set at 90°, that way when I go out it's not a shock to step into 100° heat.[p]You go ahead and have that beer when your ready and I will join ya.[p]Regards,
    New Bob

• BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    He can send you a jar of sunshine if he likes, but everyone else is welcome to send me a jar of moonshine if they like!
    Qfan

• Nature Boy
    Options
    BBQfan1,
    LOL.
    I wonder how they would handle THAT one at the border?
    heee
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Bordello
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    Now that is a good question. O.K. it's 12:02 so I'm having that beer for or with you. LOL (it's 102° and climing)[p]Oh, I forgot list the granny smith apple I peeled and cut to go in the beans. It's kind of like a meatloaf, put in anything that looks good.[p]Cheers and beers,
    New Bob

• Bordello
    Options
    O.K.
    Not enough beer or the temp is getting me. That should have been Climbing not climing. Sorry about that. LOL[p]
    Thanks,
    New Bob

• Nature Boy
    Options
    New Bob,
    It is gray enough here that beer thirty has just happened. 3:15 here now. That will have to do! I am simultaneously raising my elbow with you![p]Hmm. An apple sounds like it would be excellent in that bean stew concoction. You are makin me hungry.[p]BTW, I was able to decipher "climing". I make my share of typos too.
    102? Ouch.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • MickeyT
    MickeyT Posts: 607
    Options
    New Bob,[p]You win for being most creative. My little pea brain could never process so much "stuff".[p]Good call dude.[p]Mick
  • Banker John
    Banker John Posts: 583
    Options
    New Bob,
    I'm coming to your house for dinner? Your before and after picture look so great. I hope your beans "softened up" better than mine. My beans were tough.[p]Heck, when I poured out the beans in the garden, not even the ants or the birds would eat the beans.[p]I'm bound & determined to make a decent pot of baked beans. I'm trying again this weekend. Thanks to everyone's help, I'll be boiling them for longer then the 1 hour that is stated in the recipe section of this web site. I'll go more by consistency than time this weekend. I'm guessing on the beans taking 8 beers and a good 2 hour nap... just about perfect for a 6:30 dinner!

• Bordello
    Options
    Banker John,
    Thanks,
    I just took your post and did a google search for baked beans, read several recipes and found that most of them soaked over night, drained and re-covered with an inch or two of water and brought to a boil and then backed off. I think I cooked these on the stove about 2 hours or so.[p]I just kept taking a few beans out and crushed them against my cutting board to see how soft they were. After they were soft enough it was time for the "rest of the story" As per my post. These turned out great. Thanks for bringing the subject up or I would not have tried it. (Between the slab of ribs,a small can of cut pineapple,a granny smith apple,bacon and the rest of the kitchen sink, it was really worth it)[p]Cheers,
    New Bob (and thanks for your help)[p]

• Unknown
    Options
    New Bob,[p]Those are some scary looking beens but based on your description I would sure like to dive in.[p]Jeff[p]