Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It feels as though we’ve waited forever for college football to start, and finally the wait is over! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are sure to become fan favorites. As an added bonus, the day before Labor Day is National Bacon Day and we don’t know about you, but we like putting bacon on anything and everything, so we’ll definitely be celebrating that. It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Firebox basket / charcoal shaker

James MBJames MB Posts: 349
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a medium and I’m lazy.
To light I often use a chimney, light some fresh lump and dump it on top of the old lump in the firebox, this works pretty well for a rapid warm up and burning off the volatiles from the fresh lump. I use a wiggle stick a little too.
Sometime it gets sluggish and the pile of old coals needs a little more attention than my wiggle stick can get to. You may say I should just get a longer angled part on my wiggle stick (?) - it’s an old home made door hook I think - but I think sometimes the more I fiddle the worse it gets as the coals are reduced to smaller pieces.
On my WSM I have wired the charcoal ring to the charcoal grate so I can just lift the whole thing up, give it a gentle shake to remove the ash and then it’s good to go. Similarly my monstrous kamado has a heavy gauge wire basket that acts both as a grate and a lump holder that can be lifted and gently shaken, mind you it rusts like anything and heaven only knows what I’ll do when it fails – get someone to weld a new bottom in I guess.
I just wondered if anyone has played with something similar in an egg, I’m a bit wary of mixing expansion of heating metal with static ceramic but can’t help thinking about it. I found the posts below, the first of a Fred’s prototype (which is also in my mind I’d just rather do without the hassle of pulling the lump out) and the second of wooDoggie’s setup, albeit with lapsed pick links but sounds like I was hoping for.

My one concern is that there isn’t any background noise on this raving about how good it is. Perhaps I’ve just got the wrong approach.

Btw – not sure how to post thread links

Can and basket

Woodoggie's setup

Comments