Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gasket

Options
PCO3
PCO3 Posts: 50
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was cooking a brisket this past weekend and noticed a trace of smoke coming from the back side of the Egg. I was looking at the gasket and it looked compressed and black. I have had my egg for almost year (1 year father's day)and wanted to know in general how often I should expect to replace the gasket. BRISKET WAS A HIT A WORK!!!! Viva la egg.

Comments

• CR
    CR Posts: 175
    Options
    PCO3, I have had my Egg about the same length of time as you have had yours. My gasket is getting a little hard in a few spots and I have a little smoke coming out at various spots from time to time. I am not planning on changing the gasket until I start having problems maintaining temperatures, especially for long cooks. This could be years down the road. [p]It seems that some people have to replace their gaskets more often than others; I think that there are a lot of variables involved like the temps that are used for cooking, the alignment of the dome and base, how often the Egg is used, etc.[p]
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    PCO3,
    I just replaced the gasket for the first time on my large egg and it is 5 years old.
    Larry

• Kelly Keefe
    Kelly Keefe Posts: 471
    Options
    PCO3,
    As they say on the auto commercials: "Actual milage may vary." I replaced mine in year 2, then again a week later when the replacement refused to stick, then again a couple months later. Then I got smart and got a Rutland Gasket instead of the BGE felt. I'd try taking a old toothbrush and gently "scrubbing" where it looks compressed. That might "fluff" it up a bit.[p]Kelly Keefe
    Jefferson City, MO

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    PCO3,
    PG and I both got our large eggs at the same Eggfest..by the time he had to replace his first gasket (2-2 1/2 yr.) I had replaced mine at least 3 if not 4 times...and we were both doing basically similar cooks...as was said..your milage may vary...[p]Wess