Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Bratwurst Recipe?

SlickSlick Posts: 382
edited 11:23PM in EggHead Forum
I've been toying with the idea of making my own sausage, and have had good luck with mild Italian for my pizzas. I want to move on to bratwurst, specifically Wisconsin or Johnsonville type. Anyone have a good recipe to share? I've found several on various sites but before I start throwing stuff together, just wanted to pick the brains of the resident sausage experts.

Thanks

Slick

Comments

• AZRPAZRP Posts: 10,116
    I've been using the Hi-Mountain seasoning kit and like it better than any of the recipes I've tried in the past. -RP

http://shop.himtnjerky.com/online/product.php?productid=30&cat=251&page=1
  • For a good primer on all things meat-preservation, read Michael Ruhlman's Charcuterie. You should be able to get a copy from the library. Fresh sausages, cured sausages, smoked sausages, bacon, ham, terrines, etc. Brining, curing, smoking, oh my.
    That book is one excellent read. -RP
  • SlickSlick Posts: 382
    Randy,

I noticed that the High Mountain kit includes a cure. Cured brats sound pretty good, but I'm craving fresh brats. Is the cure optional or is it more for flavoring than curing?

Slick
    The only time I use the cure is if I'm going to smoke the sausage. Funny you asked this, the first time I made brats with the kit I didn't read the instructions and added the cure to my fresh sausage. They weren't very good. -RP
  • reelgemreelgem Posts: 4,256
    Randy, Johnsonville is the favorite around WI. I'll do some investigating to see if there's anyone with a copycat Johsonville brat recipe.