Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef short ribs

Options
Harleydog77
Harleydog77 Posts: 217
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm thinking of making beef short ribs for the first time tonight. I have never messed around with beef ribs. I am looking for any tips or ideas that anyone may have.

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Thanks for the pictures Pat.

This is one way I like to cook them.

Beef, Ribs, Short, Richard Fl

Procedure:
    1 Just pulled 5#'s about an hour ago. Individual ribs about 2-3"s long..Covered with a rib rub, Garlic herb and black pepper. refrigerated overnight. Cranked up large 7 AM and started to do indirect at 250F for 6 hours. Threw a handful of pecan chips just before the ribs and let smoke away After 2 hours basted with orange juice and bbq sauce mix diluted w/water and did this every hour after 4 hours dropped temp to 200F. total cook time 6 1/2 hours. Dinner is calling sooon!! We like sweet flavor of orange juice and the sauce to serve is whatever the moods are!
    2 Forgot to add, the ribs were bone side down the first 4 hours. left membrane on this batch, too much hassle to remove. Also raised grid

Recipe Type
    Beef, Main Dish

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 2007/05/20
  • Harleydog77
    Options
    I'm not sure if what I have is short ribs. They are labeled beef back ribs. They are quite a bit smaller than what you have pictured in that thread. I wonder if I would just be better off braising them in my DO.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Never tried them in the DO but I'm sure Richard has a few hundred different recipes :woohoo: :S
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Harleydog77

Never done short ribs but did some long ones yesterday. Just kidding, 250 indirect for a long time 31/2 hours, foi with liquid for 1 1/2 and sauce and glaze

DSC_0039-3.jpg

034-4.jpg

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• SGT BBQ
    SGT BBQ Posts: 190
    Options
    Looks good -- I've always wanted to try beef ribs but I love baby back ribs. Do the beef ribs even compare?
  • Little Steven
    Options
    SGT BBQ,

I don't think they compare but beef ribs are amazing on their own, they are a huge favourite in the orient. They are good.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Grandpas Grub
    Options
    The first time I did beef ribs they were OK but not a do again project.

One and a half years later I got the hankering to try them again. WOW, they were fantastic.

I cooked them like I do pork. However, this time I only put the lump up to the top of the holes in the fire box.

Pulled what membraine I could. Put some EVOO on the racks and then a good amount of DP Raising the Steaks.

Because I had problems with the first rack I used the DigiQII. Meat probe on the grid with the racks. Pit temp set to 210° - dome was about 240°. I think a 250° dome temperature would be fine.

I cooked to where the meat pulled back about 1.5 to 2 inches from the bone.

No foil, spritzing, turning, rotating... I did do some looking now and then.

Well, this is what they looked like and were so good I did them again two nights later for some guests.

My first point of thinking they were done - you can see the taste test.

beefrib1.jpg

beefrib2.jpg

I let the racks cook about 20 minutes longer.

beefrib3done.jpg

This was a great cook and it tasted better than it looked.

GG
  • Harleydog77
    Options
    That looks really good. I hope mine turn out as good as yours. I have them on the egg right now. I went with JLOCKHART29's recipe with a few mod's. Is there a meat temp you are looking for, or do you just have to wait until they are ready to fall off the bone?
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Sounds like you have everything the way it should be.

I just looked and evidently I didn't make any notes - hate it when I do that, or don't do that.

When I did this second cook, I wasn't sure. I watched for the pull back of the meat up the bone. When it got to the smallest pull back I cut a piece off to eat. It was more like beef medium rare - tasted really good but too red.

I let it cook longer and the meat became more tender and had more the look of medium tasted great, pull back close to 2" so I decided to pull. Worked out great.

Just make sure you don't overcook. My first attempt way back was overcooked. It was good but tough and not worth doing again.

GG
  • Harleydog77
    Options
    I'm hopefully not going to overcook them. I am a fairly new egger. I've only cooked ribs one other time and they were baby back pork ribs. I'm going to wrap the ribs in foil soon. I just checked them and they are still rendering fat so I think I should be ok.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Some additional thoughts... if you have short ribs (shorter ribs) don't wait for 2" of pull back or I would expect them to be overdone.

If try to determine done by tast, don't take your samples from the outside ribs. Those parts will be done before the meat between the ribs.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Mine rendered much more fat than the bb ribs.

Foiling is popular, however, I don't foil so can't be of help with foiling.

GG
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Sometimes they do fall off the bone

101_2145.jpg

101_2146.jpg
  • Harleydog77
    Options
    I am expecting that these ribs are not going to turn out, but I hope that they do. I will know in about 40 minutes.
  • Harleydog77
    Options
    :( I glazed these beef ribs with razorback rib sauce mixed with orange juice. As they were finishing on the grill I made up some hush puppies. The hush puppies were pretty good. The ribs were very tough. I thought that they were done the way that the meat was coming away from the bone. They were very rubbery. Not very fun to eat. I think they needed to cook longer to break down a little more connective tissue. Oh well I'm sure that I will try these again sometime. Probably not anytime soon though.

DSCF0995.jpg
    DSCF0996.jpg