Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Can Non-Eggers attend Ocala Eggfest?

Options
Single Action Egger
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi.

My folks spend their winter down in The Villages (FL). They are in their early 70's and do NOT own an EGG. In fact, at dad's request we purchased him a gas grill for Christmas (I know, I know....)

Would my folks enjoy the Ocala EggFest from a spectator point of view? (Dad likes to cook as long as its healthy - chicken, fish, veggies.) Are non-Eggers ridiculed? How much does it cost for spectators? Best time to go as spectator?

Thanks in advance.

John

Comments

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    They would be welcomed and probably have the time of their life.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    It is open to anyone who has interest. Last year we invited some friends and her 76 year old father, wheelchair confined, got helped by lots of folks and he had a blast. Country music if like last year and great food the cost of addmission is the best "Q" meal you will ever find for a large family.

http://www.lazygatorqcrew.com/eggfest/
  • Semolina Pilchard
    Options
    I doubt it is like those renaissance festivals where all the "actors" and vendors and many of the spectators are dressed like Robin Hood or whatever. If you are wearing regular clothes those people can be brutal. I know we are a cult, but we're cool. :P
  • eenie meenie
    Options
    I took my mother with me to my first Eggtoberfest this past year. She is 83 years old. Everyone made her feel so welcome, even though she doesn't egg. That being said, she gets a lot of vicarious experience through me. Richard Fl mixed her up a Bloody Mary and after that she loosened up a bit and really enjoyed herself. The only problem was......after having one of Carwash Mike's ribs, she doesn't understand why mine don't come out as good. She said she would go to the Eggoberfest with me again.

eenie meenie
    Dayton, OH
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    I think your parents would really enjoy it. It is just a fun day of great food and friendly people. As long as they don't have "non-egger" tatooed on their foreheads, no one would even know they are gas grill people. They will come away with some creative cooking ideas that they can use for their own gas grill too. Tell them to sign up and come and have fun!

Faith
    Tampa, FL
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    What people haven't said yet was the whole idea of these Eggfest is gather experienced Eggheads with the not so experienced..

It's about family having a good time with family. Non-eggheads are welcomed and are encouraged to attend. The demo eggs are on sale to encourage non-eggheads to buy them..
  • Charleston Dave
    Options
    I got my Egg at Eggtoberfest 2008 in Atlanta, having cooked only on gassers before that.

Showing up at an Eggfest with zero experience on an Egg had the advantage of letting me get plugged into the Egg community and the diversity of Egg cooking before I'd even done my first cook. It also let me get my new Egg at enough of a savings to pay for the trip. Everybody was extremely welcoming and I got off to a rip-roaring start.

They could certainly go as spectators, and have a good time. They might come away having fallen out of love with their gas grill and wishing for an Egg. If they're considering the purchase of an Egg, my only concerns would be whether they would want to make the commitment to buy an Egg ahead of time, and whether they could manage the removal of the assembled Egg from their vehicle back home.