Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bourbon-Maple Ham ala Egret

Options
Richard Fl
Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Is this an oxymoron?

100_2127.jpg

10 #'s, Spiral sliced, on small indirect 225F 3 hours.Maple wood smoke. Pulled 141F

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Always a great cook and a bonus. The bone makes some great soup.

Yours looks pretty nice.

GG
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    Nah...the bourbon offsets it :blink: ;) :laugh: ..so what's the 'bourbon' part?
  • Charleston Dave
    Options
    I've been wanting to try this cook and I have a ham sitting waiting in the refrigerator, but can't find the "butter pecan" flavoring mentioned in the recipe.

Possible substitutes available to me:
    --butter flavoring
    --black walnut flavoring
    --Frangelico liqueur
    --Just leave it out

Any suggestions? I have a profound tree nut allergy so can't use anything that has "real" nuts in it. The flavorings are generally OK, and oddly enough I can tolerate spirits like Amaretto or Frangelico. I also don't seem to have trouble smoking over pecan wood.

Real nuts, though, mean that a 911 call and Epipen need to be added to the ingredient list.
  • Richard Fl
    Options
    I have some maple syrup headed from Maine to Ocala, so just used Aunt Jamima lite pancake syrup. Not my favorite but works. Besides I like more bourbon that syrup anyway. Some for the ham the rest for the chef.
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    Dave, this is not the same recipe as the "double smoked" ham. I wanted to try that once, but, couldn't find all the ingredients...most of which were pretty pricey! Here is the one I use :

Maple-Bourbon Ham
    by John Hall (egret)

Ingredients :

10-12 # cooked, ready to eat ham (bone-in Butt or Shank section)
    1/2-1 cup Maple Syrup
    Cherry and Apple Chunks

Procedure :

The day before smoking, place ham in a pan flat side down. Inject in multiple locations with maple syrup (use more than 1 cup if it will take it).
    Smear the Maple-Bourbon Paste all over the exposed surfaces (except flat side). Cover loosely with plastic wrap and put in refrigerator until ready to smoke (You can remove ham from refrigerator up to one hour before cooking).
    Stabilize egg at 250° with plate setter (legs up) regular grid with raised grid attached. Put 3 or 4 good size chunks of wood on coals, then place ham on raised grid. Cook until internal temperature reaches 140° (this should take about 5 hours).
  • Richard Fl
    Options
    Yes the bone is a great soup base, however it will have to wait as I made a 9 QT beef barley, mushroom soup today the bones were shortribs from the egg last week and a few new beef shank bones. Back to Daytona!
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    Nah, no oxymoron! Looks good, Richard......
  • Richard Fl
    Options
    Here is the one I started with, but due to Post Valentine projects only basted 3 hours before the cook and never did inject, just lots of little knife slits. It was spiral cut so only took 3 hours at 250F indirect.

Ham, Maple-Bourbon, Egret

INGREDIENTS:
    Maple-Bourbon Paste (recipe follows)
    1 10-12 Lbs Cooked, ready to eat Ham (bone-in Butt or Shank section)
    1/2-1 cup Maple Syrup
    Cherry and Apple Chunks
    Maple-Bourbon Paste
    2 Tbs Pure Maple Syrup
    2 Tbs Freshly Ground Black Pepper
    2 Tbs Dijon or Honey-Dijon Mustard
    1 Tbs Bourbon
    1 Tbs Vegetable Oil
    1 Tbs Paprika
    1 Tbs Onion Powder
    2 Tsp Coarse Salt, either kosher or sea salt

Preparation :
    1 The day before smoking, place ham in a pan flat side down. Inject in multiple locations with maple syrup (use more than 1 cup if it will take it).
    2 Smear the Maple-Bourbon Paste all over the exposed surfaces (except flat side).
    3 Cover loosely with plastic wrap and put in refrigerator until ready to smoke (You can remove ham from refrigerator up to one hour before cooking).
    4 Stabilize egg at 250° F. with plate setter (legs up) regular grid with raised grid attached. Put 3 or 4 good size chunks of wood on coals, then place ham on raised grid. Cook until internal temperature reaches 140° F. (this should take about 5 hours).
    5 This is a truncated version of Maple-Bourbon Glazed Ham that was posted on the forum (author unknown).

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Meat, Side Dish

Recipe Source
    Author: John Hall

Source: BGE Florida Eggfest '08, Egret
  • Double Bogey
    Options
    Without a doubt one of my favorite cooks. I have never used a spiral sliced ham for fear of it drying out during the cook. Any problems there?
    Larry
    Aiken, SC. and
    Fancy Gap, Va.
  • Richard Fl
    Options
    I pulled at 140F and it is fine. Next time might pull at 135 if spiral cut as some of the edges were a little dry. But, the bourbon makes you overlook the little things.
  • Double Bogey
    Options
    Thanks Richard. Might try the spiral next time.
    Larry
    Aiken, SC. and
    Fancy Gap, Va.
  • Charleston Dave
    Options
    Oops! Looked like I confounded the two recipes, should have double-checked before asking. Thanks for clearing things up.

Although I am still wondering about that substitution...
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Did the short rib bones impart much flavor? I need to try some beef barley soup.

GG
  • Richard Fl
    Options
    Some of the ribs were General Tso BBQ and some were plain, just cooked. The Tso gave a little flavor,but with everything else it went away. Cooked the barley in a separate pan and mix in a soup bowl as I go along. Simple, beef boullion, carrots, onions, celery diced sauteed and added mushrooms after 3 hours in DO. Took meat out and removed bones after 3 hours. Was going to do on large, but rain was forcast I I did not feel like playing in it today. The small with ham was covered.