Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Pulled Pork question

OkeejohnOkeejohn Posts: 291
edited 8:56AM in EggHead Forum
I plan to do a pork butt (pulled pork) for about 30 people. How much should I get..about 20 pounder? And should I brine the pork butt??

Okeejohn

Comments

• Brine is not necessary. Plan on 4 people per pound if a mixed group and 3 people per pound for men. If I recall, there is about 40% shrink in weight when cooked. so:

30 * 1/4 = 7.5 lbs of cooked meat
    7.5/0.6 = 12.5 lbs of raw pork

30 * 1/3 = 10 lbs of cooked meat
    10/0.6 = 16.6 lbs of raw pork.
  • ZippylipZippylip Posts: 4,640
    or double that if heavy drinking is involved :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Check out Celtic Wolf's site. He does catering so he would know.

http://www.celticspiritbbq.com/methods/pulledpork.html
  • EggtuckyEggtucky Posts: 2,746
    I don't think there is a 'KNOW' to this..I think there is a 'prefer'...I have never brined a pork butt..but i get it from a pretty good source that the flavor added to a pork butt by brining is eggceptional...just in case you wanna try...

3/4 C molasses
    12 oz. pickling salt
    2 qts. water
    6-8 lb. boston butt

mix ingredients and add butt and something on top to keep butt submerged, I used a jug of water. Pickling salt is better because it dissolves in cold water but if you don't have any you can use kosher but you may have to heat to get it to dissolve and then cool. Keep in frig for min. of 8 hours preferably 12 hours.

Let us know if you try it and what you think..sposed to be pretty goot! :woohoo:
  • Marc,

Nothig wrong with having some pulled pork in the freezer either.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• I am sure glad Pete agrees with my numbers ;)