Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken thighs

Options
Eggspert
Eggspert Posts: 142
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Does anyone have a good recipe for cookin chicken thighs? I am going to cook them tomorrow and need an idea, since this is the first attempt. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Comments

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    There are 2 things I like to do with thighs:

cook on a raised grid direct at 375 with jamaican jerk seasoning

or

debone the thighs and stuff with cream cheese and cook the same way with DP Tsunami spin

both are very good...
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    i like to cook them low and slow with this setup, dizzypigs tsunami spin or a cajun rub like lysanders cajun works for me.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=491362&catid=1

also azrp's "the chicken" works good on thighs

http://nakedwhiz.com/thechicken.htm
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • omba
    omba Posts: 241
    Options
    Hi, Churchill!

I'll start the ball rolling here. Let me share with you what someone out here once wrote to me ...
    "It's hard to screw up chicken thighs."
    That's the good news.

How to cook?
    I'm really going to stick my neck out and share a method that I like. On a raised grid at 250-275 I generally cook for about two hours. I honestly don't know why I do, but it works for me. I cook unitl the internal temp is about 165-170, but I don't like dry chicken.

Others might well have more successful methods, so I'll pay close attention to the replies. As for flavor ...

I like Tsunami Spin and Shakin the Tree. But I've also done some mojo, jerk, and Mediterranean stuff. It all works. And getting back to the beginning ...
    I've never screwed up chicken thighs.

Hope this gets the ball rolling,
    Peter
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    i like raised grill.
    Byrons Butt Rub and Sweet Baby Rays the last 10 mins
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Davekatz
    Davekatz Posts: 763
    Options
    453329281_pGNuD-S.jpg

Just did these a couple week ago and the were eggcellent: Grilled Chicken Thighs & Tamarind Marinade

6 pounds bone-in chicken thighs
    6 tablespoons tamarind concentrate (ready-to-use, not paste)
    1/4 cup Tabasco sauce
    1/4 cup cider vinegar
    1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
    1 tablespoon soy sauce
    1 tablespoon sugar
    2 teaspoons kosher salt
    1 teaspoon garlic powder
    1 teaspoon ground black pepper

I put all the ingredients, except the chicken, in a food processor and gave them a whirl until they were well-combined. It makes just a little more than a cup of marinade.

I marinated the chicken for 12 hours in the fridge. Because the marinade has so much oil in it I made sure to pat the thighs dry. I then seasoned them with a little of John Henry’s Mojave Garlic rub. A dusting of garlic salt and black pepper or lemon pepper would work well too.

The cook was direct on a raised grid over medium-high (400°F) heat. I grilled the chicken for about 40 minutes, flipping the thighs every 10 minutes. I took them off when the thermometer read 180°F in the thickest part of one of the larger thighs.
    Food & Fire - The carnivorous ramblings of a gluten-free grill geek.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Another good way is Tandoori style. There are lots of tandoori spice recipes floating around the web, and I've tried a few. They were good, but not as good as the commercial mix I found at an Indian store.

De-skin the chicken (saves a few calories) and prick with a fork all over. Mix tandoori spice mix with yogurt (which I think works a little better than buttermilk) coat the pieces, and let sit in fridge from 4 - 12 hours. Leave most of the glop on the thighs. It will bake down, and leave a bit of tastey crust in places.

Do them direct, raised grid. I've never tried at real tandoori temperatures, which are 600+. However, at 400 - 450, the chicken pieces get done pretty quickly, usually 2 flips for a total of 30 - 40 minutes. Watch for hot spots cooking direct, and move the pieces around if any are getting really charred, and adjust cooking time appropriately.
  • dougemsmacks
    Options
    I love to make thighs and leg quarters, I generally go with the raised grate @325° and butt rub. I also like marinades from Mcormick, there easy and tasty.

Higher temps. cook the chicken well but it seems like more of the flavor from the rub or marinade sticks with the chicken when it is done slower.

Generally they are on an 1 to 1.25 hrs and 180° is my target temp.

Good luck and no matter what they are hard to mess up.
  • mo egg
    mo egg Posts: 143
    Options
    thats the way i cook mine 250-275 direct raised grid in fact i got some chicken legs on right now they always turn out great.
  • mo egg
    mo egg Posts: 143
    Options
    i use bubba tims wing recipe but leave out red pepper i used season salt, garlic and onion to taste.
  • NibbleMeThis
    Options
    My favorite is what we call "dip and flip chicken" using boneless chicken thighs.

Dip & Flip Chicken

Rub boneless chicken thighs with Poultry Perfect Rub from Jamison's Smoke N Spice (or your favorite chickadee rub):
    3/4 cup Hungarian paprika
    1/4 cup black pepper freshly ground
    1/4 cup celery salt
    1/4 cup sugar
    2 tablespoon onion powder
    2 tablespoon dry mustard
    2 teaspoons cayenne
    2 tablespoon zest from 3 to 4 lemons dried and mince

The dipping sauce is a clone of Big Bob Gibson's White Sauce:
    1 cup mayonnaise
    1 cup apple cider vinegar
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    1 1/2 tablespoons cracked black pepper
    1/2 teaspoon kosher salt finely ground
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne
    1 whole chicken cut in half
    Finely ground kosher salt and ground black pepper
    1/2 cup vegetable oil
    1/4 light corn syrup

Set the Egg up for direct heat at 325-350f using a grid extender.

Grill thighs for 5 minutes, FLIP
    Grill thighs for 5 minutes, DIP in bowl of sauce and FLIP
    100_8206Medium.jpg
    Grill thighs for 5 minutes, DIP & FLIP
    Grill thighs for 5 minutes, DIP & FLIP
    Grill thighs for 5 minutes, DIP in fresh sauce and serve.
    100_8210Medium.jpg

So that's a total of 25 minutes cook time.

Almost everyone who has tried that at our house has said that it is the best grilled chicken they've ever had and they are amazed when they find out it is a mayo based sauce.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • TomM24
    TomM24 Posts: 1,366
    Options
    I have a simple way soak them in Paul newmans Italian dressing and cook on a raised grill direct at 350 with cherry smoke. Yiumm
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    We do chicken lots of different ways. Whatever way you choose will be mightyfine.

AZRP's "The Chicken" chicken thighs
    101_2515640x480.jpg

Bacon wrapped stuffed boneless thighs'
    101_2587640x480.jpg

More stuffed thighs
    101_2656640x480-1.jpg

Some Tony Chachere's and finished with Carnivore Sauce
    IMG_2400800x600.jpg

You favorite rub and smoke with do just fine. Sauce or no sauce works depending on how your judges like em.
  • NibbleMeThis
    Options
    Frank

The stuffed bacon wrapped look awesome! Do you have a quick link for those?
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Davekatz
    Davekatz Posts: 763
    Options
    Oh that looks good AND I have a new bottle of Big Bob in the cupboard.

Do you change to fresh sauce to the last dip to avoid contamination?
    Food & Fire - The carnivorous ramblings of a gluten-free grill geek.
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    Its been a while but pretty sure I just stuffed them with spinach and cream cheese.
  • NibbleMeThis
    Options
    Yes, that is why. I really don't think it is necessary but don't want to take chances:)
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This