Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Caveman Method Question

Options
Smokin Tiger
Smokin Tiger Posts: 352
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Do you guys really like this? Is it better than searing on a smokin hot CI grate or is it just different. I have to admit that I have not been brave enough to try it yet... Is it worth it?

My wife already thinks I am nuts over all this egg stuff. :whistle: :P She will think I have really lost it if I throw a couple of big ribeyes on the fire :laugh: :laugh:

Comments

• Boxerpapa
    Options
    IMHO, caveman is the best. Throw some ribeyes on the coals and try for yourself, I really think you won't be disappointed. The CI grid is good if you like presentation of sear marks, but heck your gonna eat the meat, not frame it. :)
  • Semolina Pilchard
    Options
    I have never tried caveman, but I do a "near caveman." The searing method works well for rare, but when I need a steak to be cooked a little more I developed a different style. To get the outside to get the right char without overdoing the inside I have a 13 inch grid I set right on the coals and after 90 seconds to 2 minutes per side I put in the regular grid and finish. I know I could do the 700 degree then rest for 20 and then finish, but this way is much faster, and I don't notice a difference.
  • devmode
    Options
    You have a link to caveman method? I'm pretty sure it means you put the food directly in the coals, but I didn't know if there was a good source to look over for cook times etc.
  • Mike in Abita
    Options
    1 Trillion seconds equals 31,709 years
  • jl has more caveman pics than i do.. yes it is good.. why ,, like when i was a boy scout....food and fire make a meal,, as far as times.. cannot help you. part of the challange..
    tri tips

caveman001.jpg

caveman005.jpg

caveman006.jpg

caveman007.jpg

rested in a pre heated cooler for two hours

caveman009.jpg

waiting

caveman010.jpg

caveman016.jpg

caveman017.jpg

caveman018.jpg

caveman019.jpg

caveman020.jpg
  • TheDirtyBurger
    Options
    I hate you so much right now for having a bottle of Yuengling. Next time I am east of Ohio I am loading up the car so fat that the wife might have to thumb it home
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    I appreciate there are different methods and to each his own, but since going to hot tubbing I've never had a bad steak and get "better than the best steakhouse" results.
    IMG_2569-1.jpg
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • suggest you leave her home and avoid the punishment

freds013.jpg

freds014.jpg

lump egg stuff and yeungling
    somedays it is good to be me
  • Popsicle
    Popsicle Posts: 524
    Options
    Amen to the Hot tubbing. Always get spectacular results with this method cause my folks like their steaks med rare to med. Popsicle
    Willis Tx.
  • Lake Conroe Egger
    Options
    Hey Popsicle,

Do you know if the HEB in Conroe has the same sale on prime t-bones as posted earlier?
  • Harleydog77
    Options
    1 trillion is a sh@$ load
  • Popsicle
    Options
    I do not know. They will normally honor any HEB advertised price but I didn't see any in the Conroe area for the T-bones.
    Popsicle
    Willis Tx.
  • Popsicle
    Options
    Lake Conroe Egger, Sams had whole choice filets for 7.50 something. Said they would be that price all weekend.
    Popsicle
    Willis Tx.
  • Michael B
    Options
    As good or better than advertised. Give it a try.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    When I first got an egg, about 2 years ago now, I read where someone had put the steak right on the lump. I got a IR thermometer and read the temperature of the lava looking lump (orang lump) in the fire box. 1180°. I was wondering if the lump would stick, grit, burning etc.

I decided the only way to find out was to try it. I decided to do some fajita's. One of the best cooks to date by the way.

Upper left, steaks on the lump, 90 seconds per side. Lower left pict of the steak right off the lump. Right side meat in the skillet waiting for the veggies.

I have done many since. People think you are nuts when they see you putting the meat directly on the burning coals. After it is served there is never any leftovers on the plate. I have only done meat.

Don't hesitate, give it a go.

Fajita.jpg

GG