Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

rib roast

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey everybody
I am an egger. My wife works with the youth group at our church and has taken our youth group on a retreat this weekend. when she gets back i want to have the best rib roast ready for her. any ideas on how to really make her feel like she is the best (and she is). Yes i own a BGE and work for the BGE in atlanta, but have never done a rib roast.....something special, please help. by the way it is a pleasure to serve you all!!!! thanks john bge atl.[p][p][p][p]

Comments

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    johnnyboy,
    I have only cooked a rib roast one time on the egg.I used Earl's recipe and it turned out great.
    Larry

[ul][li]Earl's Prime Rib[/ul]
  • char buddy
    char buddy Posts: 562
    Options
    johnnyboy try this.[p]It is a modified version of a Doc Chicken rib roast. I is based on 4 pound roast - so adjust accordingly.[p]It cooks at high heat inside a salt dome. When its done the outer parts of each slice will be charred, crusty and well done. The inner parts of each slice will be pink and rare. By adjusting the cooking times you can get less or more of the 'pink center.' [p]
    Old English Prime Rib Roast: by Dr. Chicken
    For original recipe post go to: http://biggreenegg.com/recipes/newRecipes/beef0141.htm
    A simple but extremely tasty, tender and fantastic roast[p]Ingredients:[p]? 3 Cups sea salt, or kosher salt [p]? 4 large egg whites (I use egg whites from a carton - All Whites)[p]cheesecloth but big enough to fit over the roast[p]? 4 lb large end or small end standing rib roast[p]? Salt & Pepper to taste[p]whatever marinade you like [p]Salt Crust and Cooking Tips:[p]Buy a prime rib, enough for 1/2 to 3/4 lbs for each person.
    Marinate 2 to 8 hrs in whatever marinade you like. I make a goo out of three or four cloves or garlic, a tablespoon of kosher salt, a tablespoon of peppercorns, a teaspoon of thyme, oregon, or any other fine herb. 3 tablespoons of dried, minced onions. one-quarter cup of olive oil. I cover the beef with this mixture, put it in a ziplock bag then pour in a cheap red wine until the beef is drowned. [p]when you're about ready to cook the rib roast make the salt crust.[p]Pour the three cups of Kosher salt into a work bowl along with the four egg whites. Work the salt unil it looks like wet sand. If it looks too runny add more salt. If it looks too dry add more egg whites. If you do it right, the salt will stick the beef like a second skin, but I've never done it right - so I use cheese cloth. [p]Get the rib roast out of the marinade. Shake off the excess bits, but don't rinse it. Pat the salt mixture on one side. Cover with the cheese cloth and flip over. Cover the other side with the salt mixture and tie up with the cheese cloth. You should have a salt skin all around your roast about a one-quarter to one-half an inch thick. Dont' worry if your salt skin isn't perfectly adhered. As long as most of the rib roast is covered by salt, you're okay. If you run out of salt, just make another batch with the same proportions ? 3 cups of salt to 4 egg whites. [p]
    ? Set roast aside in V rack.[p]Cooking Directions:
    ? Prepare Egg as normal for an indirect cook.
    ? Bring Egg up to 500 to 520 degrees (dome temperature)
    ? Place desired type and amount of wood chunks on burning lump
    ? Place pizza stone or firebricks in place to deflect heat
    ? Over a drip pan with no water, place roast in a roasting rack
    ? Close dome and adjust upper and lower vents to insure 500 to 520 degrees cooking temperature
    ? Cook roast 15 minutes per pound for medium rare [p]? Use 145 internal temp for rare, 160 internal temp for medium
    ? When cooking time is done, remove roast and allow it to sit uncovered for 10 minutes before removing salt[p]? When roast has sat for 10 minutes break the shell of salt away from the roast and remove. The salt will be very brittle and may have to be scraped from the meat surface. Allow roast to sit another 5 minutes, slice and serve.[p]

[p]