Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork butt/pork shoulder

Options
Harleydog77
Harleydog77 Posts: 217
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi,
I am a new egg owner. I'd like to try a pork butt. I was at the grocery store tonight and I saw that pork shoulder was on sale. Is pork butt and pork shoulder the same thing?

Comments

• Sun Devil Brett
    Options
    I've got two butts on right now, (cooking much quicker than I had hoped). This is how it was explained to me, a shoulder consists of two parts, the butt and the picnic. The picnic tasting a little more like a ham. You can treat both the same way for cooking. On the picnic cut the skin and most of the fat off and treat as a butt cook. I am cooking two butts that I got from costco. On the package it said pork shoulder. If it's a picnic it will usually say. Both end up tasting tasty. My 2 cents. Brett B)
  • Harleydog77
    Options
    Thanks for the info. The pork butt was on sale for 1.99 per pound. what are they charging at costco?
  • Sun Devil Brett
    Options
    1.79 a lb. The best I can remember was about a buck a lb. So you figure 14-16 lbs. (two in a package) for less than twenty bones. Good food for many. B)