Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brown Steak=good buy

Options
Marc  from IL
Marc from IL Posts: 499
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I always try to find these mark downs on steaks at the local store. I think a lot of people get scared when they see brown meat.The brown dosnt show up on this photo. I guess the meat is fine.
Marc
IMG_6996.jpg

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    The meat is fine, have you ever seen a fresh cut steak (seconds after it has been cut)? Bone-in Round Steaks are the worst. The meat is dark and needs time to turn red.
    Meat laid on top of meat, will turn that portion dark as well.

Mike
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Marc,

The reduced meat is generally a good buy. I picked up a bunch of Marc Angelo sausage tonight that had a best before date of Feb 2. It was on sale anyway and this was 1/2 the sale price.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I usually shop early in the morning. And so, have occasionally waited while the meat guy has laid out the newly marked-down cuts. Once, at the checkout, was advised to use the meat right away, or freeze it. I mentioned that straight to the freezer was the plan, and so enjoyed some very nice steak a week later.

Do watch, tho'. Some less than scrupulous markets will sell meat a day or two after the limit. Not poison, but dry and tough :sick: .
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    I always pick up the beef they are clearing out. Even patches of green and it's perfect. They actually age it, then give you money back. Shweet.

Clearance seafood and chicken I generally stay away from. But beef? It never goes bad :-)

Friday beers to you.
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Options
    Ooohh! Patches of green, that's not sounding too good Chris.
  • Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    You did good, My Friend! Check back next week...you'll likly find the same thing.

Mike