Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ADVICE / REASSURANCE BEFORE I PURCHASE

Options
James
James Posts: 232
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am about to buy a Big Green Egg but need a bit of reassurance and support before I jump in.[p]• We are a family of 5 and I assume we want a large BGE – any comments on size?[p]• The price of a BGE is 4 or 5 times a nice basic kettle – value?[p]• Any accessories one must have starting out?[p]• The talk I see on the Forum tends to be around smoking and slow cooking. If we also just want to BBQ a few hot dogs am I okay with the BGE?[p]• I hope to use the BGE 12 months a year. Our winters can get cold and snowy – will the Egg withstand or do I need covers and all that? [p]• And will I really be able to do my Christmas Turkey in the BGE or is that only for the fanatics?[p]• Beyond the support on the Forum are there any good basic cookbooks / BGE references you can recommend?[p]• All the talk of opening this damper, closing that, building the fire on one side, getting up to temperature, dampening down, … gets a bit technical. How complicated is this thing to work properly?[p]• What else should I know before I take the plunge?[p]Thanks for any and all advice.

Comments

• Prof Dan
    Prof Dan Posts: 339
    Options
    James,[p]Wow! Lots of questions. Here are some answers:[p]• We are a family of 5 and I assume we want a large BGE – any comments on size? [Large is the way to go.][p]• The price of a BGE is 4 or 5 times a nice basic kettle – value? [There's no comparison. Kettles work fine for grilling, but they are metal. The ceramic Egg holds in the heat and the moisture; the food is far superior.][p]• Any accessories one must have starting out? [Long leather gloves.][p]• The talk I see on the Forum tends to be around smoking and slow cooking. If we also just want to BBQ a few hot dogs am I okay with the BGE? [Yes. The Egg is great for grilling, especially steaks.] [p]
    • I hope to use the BGE 12 months a year. Our winters can get cold and snowy – will the Egg withstand or do I need covers and all that? [Although I live in Southern California, lots of Eggers live in snow country and use the Egg year-round. The Egg itself doesn't really need a cover, I think, but you might need some sort of shelter.] [p]• And will I really be able to do my Christmas Turkey in the BGE or is that only for the fanatics? [Turkey on the Egg is unbelievable, and it's pretty simple.][p]• Beyond the support on the Forum are there any good basic cookbooks / BGE references you can recommend? [I don't think anyone has published anything specifically for the Egg, but I think that someone on the forum (perhaps GFW??) has a downloadable pdf cookbook. It is excellent.][p]• All the talk of opening this damper, closing that, building the fire on one side, getting up to temperature, dampening down, … gets a bit technical. How complicated is this thing to work properly? [You will get really good results right away, but there is a learning curve. As the months go by, you will be able to target a specific temperature (e.g., 275 degrees) and will be able to stabilize the dome at that temperature very quickly. It is really not difficult.][p]• What else should I know before I take the plunge? [If you're dieting, you will need extra willpower once you get the Egg. Everything will taste great, and there is a tendency to overeat. Portion control is the answer. Also, your clothes may smell like smoke, which is not a bad thing. You'll find yourself drawn to the meat counter in the market, a place you may never have visited before (if you are a person of the male species). You will find yourself entertaining more, as guests will invent excuses to come over to your house to eat. Your grown children may delay moving out of the ancestral home. You'll find yourself visiting this Forum several times a day and salivating at inappropriate moments.]

• Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    James,
    Got my Egg with the purchase of a house last year. Didn't know one thing about the EGG before I became an owner. I've smoked/grilled all of my life, but with the Egg I have experienced an entirely new love for outdoor cooking. It's just a fun, and extremely tasty and efficient way of preparing food. [p]Yes, some of the posts do sometimes seem a little complicated. But, it's really not rocket science, and the experimentation is part of the fun. I've screwed some stuff up, but not very often. That's mostly due to the great advise offered on the Forum -- the disasters, as well as the successes, are openly discussed so you don't have to experience someone elses mistakes. [p]Hot dogs and burgers are a breeze on the Egg. The versatility is great. As for accessories; A Daisy Wheel and Plate-Setter are some basic items. I am currently making do with fire bricks and some other home-made accessories, so there are lots of ways to perform a successful cook. [p]I'm definitely still a rookie, but I'm sure you'll hear from some veterans who will offer additional words of encouragement. [p]Hope this helps,[p]LR

• CR
    CR Posts: 175
    Options
    James,
    Yes Get The Large BGE. It is the most versatile[p]Over the years I have spent much more on burned-out gas grills, kettles, and water smokers than the cost of the Egg. Should have bought one yeas age; it's a one time purchase. [p]Works great for steaks, hamburgers, hot dogs, etc.[p]There is a ton of cooking info and great recipes on this web-site.[p]Temp control is very easy. In general you do not have to fuss with the dampers very much once you get the hang of it; may take a couple of cooks to learn.[p]If you can cook a turkey in the oven you can cook one on the BGE. I did a 16 pounder for Thanksgiving; the LGBE can cook a 22+ pound turkey.[p]Go for it!![p][p]

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    James,[p]Get a large. As for value, it is hands down the best investment I ever made. I've gotten more enjoyment out of using the Egg and making hungry fat & happy than I could ever put a price tag on it. I guarantee you won't regret your purchase.[p]Jim
  • JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    That should read "......making hungry people fat and happy...". LOL! Monday done struck me stupid (or at least unable to type)!
  • ravnhaus
    ravnhaus Posts: 311
    Options
    James,
    Here is a link to my experiences on the egg.
    Hope you enjoy!

[ul][li]Ravnhaus BBQ[/ul]
  • tn slagamater
    Options
    James, While expensive, the "egg" is the best thing I ever spent money on! Start with a large then you will want a small to go with it. The great thing about it: you can do ANYTHING on the egg with better results; it bakes bread and pizza,smokes,grills, does it all! Check out Bill Wise's BGE free cookbook at www.thenakedwhiz.com or nakedwhiz.com? The whiz has a great website.

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    James,[p]Great advise from Mr. Hyde has already been posted, but I'll add my $.02[p]For a family of 5, a small Egg is all you need. The big Egg is a great place to start however since you have no idea how many new friends and family members will now start inviting themselves over.[p]There is no comparison whatsoever between an Egg and a kettle, other that some of their accessories fit the Egg perfectly and expand it's utility. Also, you will no longer have to buy any of those God awful briquettes. An Egg is a complete outdoor replacement for you kitchen oven and more versatile.[p]First accessories? An instant read thermometer and/or a Polder will make your initial transition much easier.[p]The Egg excels in long and low and slow cooks due to the absence of required tending. It's also a great high temp grill if you just want to do a few (or many) steaks, burgers or hot dogs. BTW, the term "BBQ" does not apply to hot dogs. You grill them. [p]Many forum members will share their success' with you on cooking year round in even a snowstorm. Yours truly will as well. Climate does not effect ceramics.[p]Turkey? If you can live with a 20 pounder or less, you are in business.[p]Cookbooks? The Wise One will send you the official BGE forum cookbook just for the asking. Other than that, any well known outdoor cookbooks(s) will get you started. The Jamison's "Smoke and Spice" comes to mind. This forum is still the best source of info for any cook or entree you may be considering. Also, spend a little time checking out the archives of this forum. [p]Operation is pretty straight forward. You let fresh air in the bottom and exhaust out of the top. Temp control is a combination of the two that you will master in just a few cooks. I have a ton of cookers in my arsenal and have found the Eggs to be the easiest to use.[p]Good luck and welcome to the forum and family.[p]KennyG

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    James,
    I can only agree with the posts below, and maybe amplify a bit. While you may start with "grilling a few hot dogs", before you know it you'll find yourself doing pork loins and beef roasts, grilling veggies and even baking... and that Christmas turkey too. It's a remarkably versatile cooker, it's major limitation is the creativity of the individual user. The recipes in the Submitted Recipes section give you an idea of just how versatile it is. [p]Bill Wise has also compiled a boat-load of good recipes: you can find it on The Naked Whiz's web site.[p]Finally, year-round cooking. I'm in Colorado and use my Eggs year-round. All you need is a snow shovel by the back door and you're in business.[p]Ken

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    James,
    I don't think you have enough information yet :-) so I'll add my two cents:[p]• We are a family of 5 and I assume we want a large BGE – any comments on size?[p]<font color=blue>If you were a family of 1, I'd still suggest the large. You can always add a small later on if you want more verstatility. The large lets you cook most anything you want and allows you to cook for bigger crowds.</font>[p]• The price of a BGE is 4 or 5 times a nice basic kettle – value?[p]<font size=blue>The BGE is so much more versatile than a kettle that assuming you aren't going to cook JUST hot dogs, you will be pleased with all the different things you can do.</font>[p]• The talk I see on the Forum tends to be around smoking and slow cooking. If we also just want to BBQ a few hot dogs am I okay with the BGE?[p]<font color=blue>Yes, you can cook hot dogs on the BGE. And hamburgers. But you aren't limited to low temperature cookingl. You can sear steaks at 800 degrees and cook pizzas at 650 degrees.</font>[p]• I hope to use the BGE 12 months a year. Our winters can get cold and snowy – will the Egg withstand or do I need covers and all that? [p]<font color=blue>You don't need covers, but they can help keep it dry. Sometimes the gasket will freeze shut if it gets wet and then really cold. You can cook in any temperature since the ceramic insulates. I keep reading about people having to insulate their metal smokers when they get craving to smoke something and it's 20 degrees outside. You won't need to insulate the BGE unless you are going to Antartica.</font>[p]• And will I really be able to do my Christmas Turkey in the BGE or is that only for the fanatics?[p]<font color=blue>YES! It is so simple to do a turkey. When you roast with the BGE, the egg is nothing more than an oven with smoke. Cook your turkey in the egg just like you would cook it in the oven. Add a little smoke, or not. But at T-giving time, if you watch this forum you will see millions and millions of posts from everyone about cooking their turkey. They can't all be fanatics, can they? :-)</font>[p]• Beyond the support on the Forum are there any good basic cookbooks / BGE references you can recommend?[p]<font color=blue>There are several helpful websites thatyou will learn about (the link to mine is below) and there is a cookbook you can download from by recipes page that was assembled by Wise One. But the forum is always here.</font>[p]• All the talk of opening this damper, closing that, building the fire on one side, getting up to temperature, dampening down, … gets a bit technical. How complicated is this thing to work properly?[p]<font color=blue>If you can find and properly operate your zipper, you can cook on a BGE. Some things will take a little practice, some might take a lot, but people are always here to help and explain. There is something terribly satisfying to me about building a charcoal fire, managing it, adding smoke, etc. If you consider cooking with charcoal a lot of fuss and muss and don't want to put up with it, then of course, this isn't for you. But if you like building a fire and cooking great food, you will learn how to do it. I learned real fast and I wouldn't be scared off by all the talk. Give it a week or two and you'll be fiddling with the best of 'em! </font> [p]• What else should I know before I take the plunge?[p]<font color=blue>Read my webpage on Flashback before you cook your first steaks!</font>[p]Good luck!
    TNW[p]

[ul][li]The Naked Whiz's Website[/ul]
    The Naked Whiz
  • Shoosh
    Shoosh Posts: 19
    Options
    James,
    It's interesting that your BGE profile states that you already own 3 BGE's. Are you sure you need advice?

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    One typo I made, I meant to say that the Wise One cookbook is downloadable from my recipe page. The cookbook that comes with the egg is sometimes referred to as "the joke book". Wise One has done a great job of producing a cookbook full of instructions, recipes, etc. which you shouldn't miss. Here is a direct link:[p]TNW
    [ul][li]Click Here To Download Wise One's Recipe Book[/ul]
    The Naked Whiz
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    shoosh,
    I imagine that someone else register the name "James". It is a pretty common name.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    James,
    ditto to all below. . .after cooking on gas and kettles for years, i made the plunge just 4 short weeks ago. .. i have already done[p]lo and slo over night brisket (it came out great)
    roasted chickens
    baked beans
    chile
    burgers (the kids say they are the best ever)
    rolled flank steaks
    grilled shrimp
    seared steaks
    grilled salmon
    prime rib (that was just last night, and it came out fantastic)[p]it is SOOOOO easy. . .was able to maintain low (230) temps overnight for the brisket w/ no problem. .. .set it to 300 for hours at a time with no adjustments for baking things like the chile and the beans. . ..[p]i have taken the attitude that if i used to do it in the oven, or in a pot on the stove, it now goes in the egg. . .i have designated one of my old aluminum 4 quart pots as my "egg pot", since it is now developing a nice dark smoked patina. . .[p]and you will get all the advice you can use (99% of it excellent by the way) from this site. .. [p]so. .. . YES ITS WORTH IT. . .GO BUY IT NOW BEFORE YOUR WIFE SAYS NO. . ...[p]best of luck[p]max

• Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Options
    James,[p]My experience.........[p]All cookers and pits do the same thing.... The BGE just does it a little better and little eaiser. Go for the large and you will never look back in regret. [p]BGE + This forum = Success!

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    babybacks03.jpg
    <p />The Naked Whiz,
    Very well said! He ask about accessories. A few babyback ribs, Dizzy Dust (about 4 varities), a couple 1 1/2 inch filets, brisket (even though I've not had great success), pork butt, and maybe sliced bottom round for beef jerky.
    How is that BB team or are they done?[p]CWM

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,
    Yeah, I bypassed the accessories question because it probably could be its own thread. [p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • James
    James Posts: 232
    Options
    shoosh,[p]I have enough trouble making up my mind to buy one -- I hate to think what I've done to set up a profile with owning three![p]After I get and get comfortable with mt BGE maybe I'll try to figure out the profiles.[p]Thanks

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    James,
    Someone must have already registers "James" as a profile. So, since you entered a name of "James", the forum software assumes you are the original person and generates a link to their profile. You just need to use any name that hasn't been registered, but for now, you are right: don't worry about it....[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    Mr. Hyde,[p]You'd better duck and cover...! My cooks would stand up with the best of the guys![p]Guess Who
  • Banker John
    Banker John Posts: 583
    Options
    James,
    Al of your new friends have helped with their posts answering most of your questions. I will only add to the list of accessories. Pardin me, some may come standard with your egg purchase.[p]Dome thermometer
    Cart or nest with side tables
    instant read thermometer (Thermopen is the best IMO)
    Polder/ poloder clone
    plate setter
    extra cooking grid with 4" stainless steel bolts when you want to cook on a raised grid
    pizza stone
    pizza peel (get 2 of them)
    Food Saver vacuum sealer
    supply of heavy duty aluminum foil
    ash tool
    daisy wheel with slide top
    stainless steel bottom vent (no rusting)
    lump charcoal & storage container (I use 5 gallon buckets with lids
    Normal grill tools (spatula, fork, tongs, etc)
    Cast iron dutch oven
    Kiln posts (5 brass 1/2" elbows)
    V-Rack
    MAPP gas torch
    Leather gloves
    cheap cover[p]Enjoy your new best friend. I'd make chicken for your first cook.