Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

great weekend of egging

Options
mad max beyond eggdome
mad max beyond eggdome Posts: 8,134
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
well, its sunday night, the caps lost yet again in the first round of the stanley cup playoffs, and of course, the '10 commandments' is now on (more on that later). . .but it was a great weekend to be an "egger". .. [p]saturday night it was chile on the egg. .. just a basic tomatoe based chile, nothing fancy. . .but the egg imparted this wonderful woodsy flavor to it (again, nothing fancy, just bge lump. . put the pot right on the grill at 300 for about 3 hours). . .one thing i do put in the chile is sweet italian sausage. . .went ahead and sprinkled chile powder on them and grilled them first on the egg before adding them to the pot. .. when i was slicing them up, my eggsistant (daughter sydney) and i had a couple of bites, and man, we were in heaven, those sausages tasted so good (so we know what we will have for dinner later on this week w/ some grilled peppers and onions) anyway, served it up w/shredded cheese, cheese and corn muffins. . . most excellent!!![p]tonight, for easter dinner it was a nice prime rib on the egg. . .had a nice bone-in pounder. . .rubbed it heavily with kosher salt, pepper, and herbs de provence (if you have been reading my stuff, you know its a favorite in our house). .. heated up the egg to 500, put the roast in a pan bone down (over the years i've found that the bone serves as its own 'rack', i.e., the meat isn't actually touching the pan, only the bone. . .put the pan on top of another pan, so that i had the roast basically level with the lid opening. . .after putting the roast in the 500 degree egg, immediately closed the vents way down and got the temps down to around 330. ... two hours later it was right at 145 internal. . .and it was delicious. .. served with horseradish (yes, from my crusty old bottle) baked spuds and a nice salad. ..it was excellent. . .[p]ok, and mollyshark in particular will enjoy this. .. my 10 commandments story. . .my zade (thats yiddish for grandfather) re-married when he was about 80 years old (thats right - 80. .. he didn't give up his drivers license till he was 91). .. anyway, he married a nice lady not of the jewish faith. . . but she decided to convert in order to marry my grandfather. .. well, my one aunt, not being into this whole conversion thing, decided to give the woman a quiz on judeism. . .her first question was "who was moses". .. to which this lady answered (and this is the honest truth). . . "why, charlton heston, of course!". . .true story. . [p]hope everybody had a good eggin easter..[p]max