Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bone-in leg of lamb? Can't find any recipes

Options
Prof Dan
Prof Dan Posts: 339
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Lots of recipes for boneless butterflied lamb, and I've made that many times with great success. But now I want to try bone-in, low and slow and moist. I have searched the archives with no luck.[p]Any ideas? Dome temps? How long? Techniques? Foil wrapped? What internal temp?[p]Thanks!!

Comments

• Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Options
    Prof Dan,
    I wouldn't suggest lo-slo for this cut of the lamb; not enough fat. Cooked at 300-375 to an internal temp of 130 for medium rare should do fine. Make a paste of dijon mustard, garlic, rosemary, salt and pepper and rub all over. At the very end - or when temp is 110-120, raise the Egg temp to full blast and sear the outside if needed.[p]If you want to do lo-n-slo with lamb, get a whole lamb shoulder, rub with a dry combo of cumin, coriander, salt, pepper and garlic. Smoke it over a fruitwood and cook at 225-250 until internal temp is 190-200: outstanding! Enjoy.

• Mike in MN
    Mike in MN Posts: 546
    Options
    Marvin,
    Sounds like good advice to me![p]Mike in MN

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Prof Dan,
    Logged on too ask about Bone-in-leg-of-lamb too, but I was looking for temps/times.[p]I did a butterflied leg of lamb a month ago, and it might be the best thing so far i did in the Egg. It was perfectly suited to the slight smokey flavor from the oak charcoal. Convinced me to do a full, bone-in for easter.[p]The best info I have encountered so far suggests 350 to 400 dome temp, to an internal temp of 135 ( more than 140 is 'a desecration' according to a french recipe i scared up). The lamb is beautifully pink at 135, and since my Easter crowd is not nearly as carnivorous as I am, I can't serve it too red (say 130).[p]I am allowing about an hour and a half, assuming the leg is 5 or 6 pounds. But I'd LOVE anyone else's info re: cook time dome and temp.[p]As for the recipe? Well, the meat has such a great flavor, and the oak coals are PERFECT for added smokiness, I would suggest keeping it obscenely simple, at least for the first time you do it.[p]The traditional recipe is to rub with oil, kosher salt, fresh ground pepper, and crushed rosemary. Most recipes also suggest 8 to 10 slivers of garlic tucked into slits in the meat, too. This seems to be the universal 'simple' recipe, and it really lets the flavor of the lamb come through. You don't want to go crazy with adjuncts on this one. It's how I did the butterflied (except no garlic, other than a little powdered), and it was so good with the added smoke, our eyes rolled into the back of our heads when we ate it. [p]Some recipes I've encountered suggested cherrywood chips for a little smoke, or applewood. I had such luck with the coals themselves, I'm not going to mess with it.[p]And some recipes suggest a litle balsamic vinegar added to the above 'standard' ingrediets, only treating all of it as a marinade. [p]Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.[p](see MPoole's BGE recipe, if you haven't already...)[p][p]

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante