Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stuffed salmon

Options
Basselope
Basselope Posts: 102
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Got creative the other night. Did a stuffed salmon filet. Everyone who we had over for dinner said it was the best salmon they had ever had.
Here is the recipe
salmon filet with skin on
1 bunch spinach lightly steamed
6 good sized mushrooms
6 cloves of garlic
Couple of sprigs of fresh taragon
salt
fresh grated parmesan cheese
Tsunami Spin rub
Cedar plank
method:
soak the cedar plank while preparing the stuffing
Clean and steam the spinach for about 5-7 minutes (don't get it soggy, just tender)
Put the spinach in to a food processor along with mushrooms, garlic, taragon, salt and cheese. mix until almost smooth.
Place the fish on the plank, and cut a pocket about almost all the way across the fish, about 1/2 up the thick side. Stuff the sucker, and cover with Tsunami Spin.
Place on the egg direct, hot (400-500) until fish is done. I had a big filet and left it on for 25 minutes. The fish was a tiny bit under done, nothing that couldn't be fixed with 30 seconds in the microwave.

Comments

• Mike in MN
    Mike in MN Posts: 546
    Options
    basselope,
    Ever try removing the skin, and that layer of dark colored fat that resides just under the skin? I find that dark colored fat can have a "fishy" taste to it. [p]Sounds like a good recipe, it's AM, and my mouth is watering....what's for lunch?[p]Mike in MN

• Basselope
    Options
    Mike in MN,
    For cedar planks I use rough sawn 8" fence planks from the home despot. Cut down I get 4 cooking planks for about $3.
    By using a fllet with the skin on, the skin sticks to the board, and the fish lifts off clean.

• mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Options
    basselope,[p]One question. How thick do you find the filet has to be to be able to stuff it like this? I don't recall having one over maybe 5/8" thick and not sure how that would cut. Are you particularly looking for thicker ones?
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Mike in MN,[p]I agree with you on that assessment. That dark part is not my favorite, but I don't like much fish anyway, so removing as much of the objectionable part is key for me.[p]Tim
  • Basselope
    Options
    Actually I went to the fish market at the store, they had salmon filets that had been cut into smaller pieces. I asked if they had any whole filets in the back and would they grab me a big one. What he brought out was so big, we cut off the last 10" or so for a later cook. What was left was probably 1 3/4"-2" thick at the thickest part. I made the slice about halfway down and the length of the fish.
    If thickness is a issue, you could take a salmon steak and stuff the cavity, this might be better for a small cook.