Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Meat temp for duck; spatchcocking

Options
Aron
Aron Posts: 170
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm going to a potluck tonight, and I'd like to bring a duck. I assume that I should use the same meat temps as I have been for chicken (165 breast, 180 thigh). Is this correct?
And while I'm on the subject, can I spatchcock the duck and cook direct on a raised grill just like chicken, or is it just too fatty and even with the raised grill do I need a drip pan?
Last night I cooked a spatchcocked chicken that was my best ever. I used a mortar and pestle to smash together some ginger and roasted sesame seeds until they formed a pasty consistency and then added some Teriyaki sauce and hummis to add volume to the paste (keep it fairly thick). Then I rubbed it all underneath the skin, and the flavor really penetrated throughought the bird. I only put it on about 10 minutes before placing the chicken on the fire. It was incredible and really easy.
Ok--please help me with the meat temps so I don't undercook or dry out the duck. Thanks.[p]--Aron

Comments