Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Million Dollar Leg...

Options
Eggtucky
Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
of Lamb :) ..not really but started this thing yesterday with a garlic based paste rub and let it sit overnight in the fridge...
Lamb_002.jpg
Made a stuffing based on the 'Lucious Leg Of Lamb' in the 'Smoke & Spice' cookbook I've had and never used :blink: filling uses onion, garlic, pine nuts, spinach, goat cheese, fresh parsley, dried currants, and anchovy paste, VERY tasty based upon my test before stuffing...

Got the small nuking and seared it...
Lamb_003.jpg

Sprinkled with some Rosemary, then onto the v-rack indirect at 235 with sugar maple and wild cherry for smoke...
Lamb_006.jpg

Got this baby smoking for 4-6 hrs..will post the finished product later...

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Eggtucky,

That looks and sounds fantastic! I look forward to the finished pics.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• BBQ-Gator
    Options
    Looks awesome! Let me know how it comes out. We live on a farm and raise our own lamb. I have several legs in the freezer now and was looking for a recipe to try. I haven't cooked lamb on the egg yet other than chops.

Look forward to hearing from you.
  • Eggtucky
    Options
    So far it's looking great and I would recommend this recipe as well as the recipe for 'lamb lollipops' on the Dizzy Pig website...
  • Eggtucky
    Options
    Steve,
    Thanks, coming from you I consider that a high compliment..the biggest debate I get into with lamb is when to pull it...I'm pretty much a medium at least finish on any beef or lamb..will try to pull this around 145 probably, but that's more done than most according to what I read..I just cant handle med rare beef or lamb :blink: :pinch: :unsure:

Steve
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Eggtucky,

I can't help you with the temp. If it were me I would have already eaten it. :laugh: Legs have enough fat that it will stay moist to medium or higher.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• BBQ-Gator
    Options
    Are you mopping? Just wondering. I forgot I have this cookbook. I may tend more towards the Martini Lamb recipe on the page before being that I've been known to consume the occasional Martini :laugh:
  • Eggtucky
    Options
    yeah I really like the sound of the martini one also, but decided to try this first since the wife freaking LOVES spinach :blink: I wasn't going to mop, but this beef stock, red wine vinegar, EVOO mop sounded good so I made some up and am mopping about every half hour..
  • BBQ-Gator
    Options
    Sounds like it is going to be great. It's got my mouth watering for some lamb. Unfortunately, I'm going to be traveling a lot over the next couple of weeks so I won't have much chance to cook. But you can bet lamb is going to be high on the list when I get a chance.

Enjoy!
  • Eggtucky
    Options
    Just curious, if you live on a farm that raises lamb, and you havent made any on the egg, what is your favorite way to prepare it?
  • BBQ-Gator
    Options
    We love the chops...med-rare. Coat them with EVOO, garlic powder, salt and pepper. These I have done on the egg as a direct grill. We also love leg of lamb. This is the one I haven't done yet on the egg. Up until now, we have always done these in an oven. Various recipes. My wife has a few out of an Italian cookbook that are real good. Usually have some form of garlic paste and usually some red wine involved.

I should mention that I am a recent egger. I just bought mine this summer. Prior to the egg, I usually grilled on a Weber kettle. I also own a couple of Brinkmans. One water smoker and another with the offset firebox. I also have a large smoker (home built) that we use for cooking a whole pig. Living here on the farm, we used to have a pig roast each summer. Typically we would have around 150 guests. We would cook a whole pig, a whole lamb, and 4 briskets. The whole lamb is tremendous. I got the recipe/technique from a book entitled "How to Grill" by Steven Raichlen. I usually borrow my neighbors smoker that I modeled mine after because his has a rotisserie. We've had so many people tell us that they don't like lamb. We tell them to just try it, and they can't believe it. They rave about it and look forward to the next year. It has also turned into some lamb sales for us.

Sorry for the long winded answer to a simple question. My favorite recipe would be the whole lamb, but obviously not everyone has the ability to do this.