Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Barkers Red Hots in Atlanta

Options
Buckwoody Egger
Buckwoody Egger Posts: 674
edited August 2011 in EggHead Forum
There is an article click here on Barkers Red Hots in the Atlanta paper this week. They seem to be a pretty unique variant on the classic Chicago dog.

Main reason to share here is that they cook hot dogs on natural lump. Their website click here also mentions they sell their lump and several key ingredients.

Can't wait to stop by. Any forum folks have any experience or reviews?

~~~~ edit / -- update as of 8/12/2011-- Barker's is AWESOME-- great lunch spot-- everything is great-- the dogs, the beef on weck, you name it. http://barkersredhots.com/

Comments

• Smokus Maximus
    Options
    We have one within walking distance of work. I was thrilled and had 20 people head over there with me on opening day.

I was very unimpressed. They cooked hot dogs one at a time to order, Wait was around 20 to 30 minutes, and there was nothing special about the hot dog.

I tried it a couple more times to see if it improved and found nothing special about them. They are still open here though (windy hill and powers ferry) so someone must like them.
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Options
    Those that cook on a gasser. :laugh:
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • Buckwoody Egger
    Options
    Ok thanks, sounds like a bummer. Still going to check it out eventually. There used to be a great dog place near Diggers on Roswell Rd but it's long gone.
  • Smokus Maximus
    Options
    I live a stone's throw from there too ;-)

I assume you're talking about the Chicago Dogs place? There was another hot dog joint there before that one if I remember, but can't recall the name.

For a chain, Chicago Dogs really aren't bad, though I will always miss the coney dogs I grew up with back in Detroit.
  • Buckwoody Egger
    Options
    Well I can't remember if it was called that exactly but you are probably right. The other day when I posted that it got me wondering. So I did an internet search and found this place Mikes Hot Dogs. With it's Best of Atlanta '07 should be ok to check out. And now I'm hungry for the Varsity too. Guess the Barker's article is good for the whole industry-haha.
  • Smokus Maximus
    Options
    That's the place!

It WAS a Chicago Dogs, I think, and NOW it's a Mikes - I tried to stop in there but they had just closed.

Chicago Dogs uses the same Vienna Hot dogs - pretty good.

I definately enjoy the Varsity too, but don't get a chance to make that drive very often.