Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Small vs. Medium

Options
Cornbread Willy
Cornbread Willy Posts: 103
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi everybody - Need some input on the small versus medium question. My mom was looking for a gift for my dad and found a very good price for a small egg - she said the medium is $200 more. I am inclined to tell her to pull the trigger on the small - I've seen a medium and it doesn't look a whole lot bigger. Other than grill area, are there any other limitations on the small in terms of what you can do with it? I've only ever used the large.[p]Thanks in advance. 'Bread

Comments

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    Cornbread Willy,
    I have both a small and a medium.
    Other than capacity, the small can do everything that the medium can do with one exception. It is easier to bake on medium. Also there are more accessories for the medium than the small.[p]Capacity on small can be great if you are creative about how you place things.[p]If money is not subject, then get the medium.
    If your mother wants to save $200, then get the small. For years, that is all I had and I still fed a family of five.[p]Hope this helps,
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Cornbread Willy, one big difference is that a few more accessories (plate setter, pizza stones, rack) are available for the medium than for the small. However, I have given a small as a present and it was greatfully (or was that gratefully) received. If the differential is $200, I might be inclined to go with the small, because later there just might be the inkling to go buy a large as well. With the medium, it's more difficult to justify buying a large but a small and a large are a perfect pair. Then, later of course, you'll want to get a medium and a mini as well. :-)

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    RhumAndJerk, if I had just waited about 30 seconds, I could have just echoed your thoughts.

• mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Options
    Cornbread Willy,[p]The small. Because once he really gets into it and starts wanting to feed lots of people to show off, he'll want a large. A small and a large, I've discovered, is the ideal combination. I now have a small, large, and a mini. Gotta admit, I'm using the small 90% of the time for our family of 3. I hate the damn band that comes with it, but when the spring band comes out for it, it will be the absolutely ideal egg.[p]mShark
  • Steve-O
    Steve-O Posts: 302
    Options
    Cornbread Willy,
    While I respect the opinions of the other respondents to your question, I'm going to offer a different point of view. If you think that it is likely your parents will really get into egging and will want more than one egg in the future, go with the small. But, if you think that in all probablility they will stay with which ever one your mom buys now, I think the medium offers much more flexiblility. LIke Mollyshark, I probably do most of my cooking on my small, but the things I do on my large I could not do on my small - like pizza or a big pot of chili. The medium has more accessories, such as plate setters and pizza stones, and will do everything that the large will do.

• Steve-O, with an exception - you'll never get a 25# turkey into a medium, but otherwise I agree with your logic there.

• Steve-O
    Steve-O Posts: 302
    Options
    kat,
    Yep, I must agree - I have never done a turkey that big, but it would probably not fit on a medium - would have to settle for a 19-20 pouonder!!!

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    Steve-O,
    A 5-6 lb. bone-in Turkey breast fits nicely on the small.
    Just for comparison.
    RhumAndJerk