Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Jerk Pork

Options
Vogs
Vogs Posts: 41
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Thinking about making jerk pork tomorrow. Anybody got a good recipe?[p]Thanks

Comments

• jerkpork2.JPG
    <p />Vogs,
    I liberally sprinkle my chops the day before with a commercial, or home made Jerk seasoning. I use Capt'n Redbeards when I'm not in the mood to make it. These chops were served with a melon, apple, cucumber, red onion, olive oil, lemon juice and garlic salsa. A side of fresh tomato salad (tomatoes, red vine vinegar, olive oil, garlic, S & P and fresh basil. Also, potatoes with butter and parsley.

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    Vogs,
    The recipe depends upon the cut of meat used.
    First of all, let’s make it easy for you. In the interest of time, go get a commercial Wet Jerk Rub. Here are the brand names of some that you should be able to get: Mrs. Dog’s, Eatons, Graces, Pickapeppa Meat Seasoning or Walkerswoods. All of these come in a short fat jar, like a jelly jar. I also think that there is a Busha Brown Jerk Seasoning, although I have never tried it. Most of the Jerk seasonings share one common component and that is serious Chile heat. Remember a little goes a long way[p]Here are links to what you should be looking for:[p][ul][li]Mrs. Dogs[/ul][p][ul][li]Eaton’s[/ul][p][ul][li]Graces[/ul][p][ul][li]Walkerswood[/ul][p]Once you have obtained the needed seasoning, lightly coat the meat with about two or three tablespoons of the Jerk seasoning. Place in a Ziploc bag and let it sit at least overnight, but two days is preferred.[p]The cut of meat that I have done most often is boneless pork loin. I grill them direct at about 350 until the internal temperature is at 155. I flip every 15 minutes. It takes a little over an hour to cook. Let the meat rest for 15 minutes before cutting.[p]While you are at it, pick up a can of coconut milk and make some rice with that instead of water. Toss in some frozen green peas and a little thyme and you will have great side dish.[p]Now I am hungry. [p]Hope this helps,
    RhumAndJerk

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    Oh yeah, also cook some black beans for a side dish.
    R&J

• Vogs
    Vogs Posts: 41
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,[p]Sounds good. Now I am hungery too![p]Thanks
  • Mac  in NC
    Mac in NC Posts: 287
    Options
    RhumAndJerk, If you ever try Busha Brown's Jerk rub, make sure your will is up to date. That stuff damned near cut off my breathing the first (and only) time I used it. Incredibly hot>
  • BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,
    Gonna try that rice tonight.
    Thanks,
    Ken