Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Mad Max' turkey and a dire need

muklmukl Posts: 66
edited 5:42AM in EggHead Forum
HI.
Did Mad Max' turkey for Christmas. The turkey was good. Love the smoky taste and the appearance. But I have to put a few warnings out there...just so everyone knows what they're getting into. This isn't a b*tch session, just a public service announcement.

1. Remember this isn't going to be a traditional turkey (you know that). There may be those in your family who want that traditional Christmas turkey that Grandma has been doing for years. Hopefully this doesn't cause any family drama.

2. There will be a strong lemon component to the gravy if you do as Max recommends and tip the juices out of the cavity. Be prepared, or don't put lemons in the turkey.

3. Air circulation is key. (I know, duh) But this goes to my post just before I did this turkey, where I asked about the size of the roasting pan. I am sure a lot of people will have their preferences. I now know from now on, I'm roasting on either an oval pan, or something that is definetely the same or smaller in diameter as the plate setter. If you're relying on heat from fire, you can use a larger pan because circulation isn't important.

So what's my dire need? I've searched high and low and I've only found the le crueset oval dutch oven and the le crueset oval baking dish. Big enough for a small turkey, but I doubt you could do anything over 12 pounds.

I saw Stike's roasting pan and am thinking that's the best one I've seen so far.

Just some late night ramblings.

Happy New Year!

:)M

Comments

• Here's another caution to add to your list.

A few years ago we purchased a nice roasting pan and rack that also came with a fairly decent knife set and a huge serving tray. I seem to remember paying about $20 for the entire set at Linens 'n Things. It fit the large Egg and worked well until this past Thanksgiving.

The 22 pound Mad Max Turkey turned out to be the best ever. And a taste of the gravy put it at 11 on a 10-point scale. But we then noticed that the gravy had some unusual dark specks in it. That's when we found that the dark coating on the inside of the pan had started to disintegrate from the heat. We don't think it was Teflon, more like a fused on paint of some kind. Anyway we ended up tossing the gravy.

I took some steel wool to the pan and removed the coating from the inside all the way to the bare metal but we decided not to cook with it any longer. Meanwhile, I found a stainless steel roasting pan at Linens 'n Things marked down from about $60 to $20. Fits the Large Egg but only when raised a bit. The handles get in the way. It will definitely be better when we try to duplicate the cook next year.

But one thing's for sure... Max's version is the best ever turkey: so said everyone here to celebrate Thanksgiving.

And the carcass makes the best turkey soup ever.

Spring "The Good Bird" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Big'unBig'un Posts: 5,909
    Hate to hear about the pan, but definately the better move to part with it. If I want my gravy to have specks, I'll just add pepper. What a shame about the gravy, that stuff is the best ever!
  • Found all your points to be true with ours on Thanksgiving - but no one in our family minded one bit not having the "traditional" (aka DRY) turkey from my Grandmother's recipe out of the oven. :laugh: :laugh: