Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My New Favorite Low and Slow

Options
Big John
Big John Posts: 48
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I picked up a 4# brisket at Costco this week and decided it was time to take the plunge and try my luck at smoking this legendary tough cut of meat. I’ve been pleased with the results rendered by the BGE on chicken, butts, pork loins, steaks, salmon etc. but have never attempted the brisket.[p]I did a low and slow butt Sunday and had plenty of charcoal left in the firebox so I just stirred it up a little and started the fire. I rubbed the brisket real good with Dizzy Dust and put it on the grill, the fat side up, above the inverted plate setter with a drip pan. I cooked it for 8 ½ hours at about 250º dome temperature. When the Maverick alarmed at 210º internal I pulled it and wrapped it in aluminum foil for about 20 minutes. I was afraid it would be dry but when I pulled the temperature probe out and juice started running out of the probe hole I knew it was going to be good. I sliced it across the grain in ¼ slices and we made some sandwiches using homemade bread. Man was that good! It was a little hard to slice because it was so tender it was falling apart. [p]I now have a new favorite low and slow. Thanks to all who post here because without all those great posts I never would have been able to experience this wonderful cut of beef.[p]Have a great weekend,
Big John

Comments

• Dock of The Woods
    Options
    Big John, A Brisket has been on my mind also due to the comments on this forum, I think it is next on my list for low & slow cooks. I hope I have the same luck![p]Hugh, "Sitting on The Dock of The Woods"

• Humpty
    Humpty Posts: 27
    Options
    Big John,
    That does sound good. I have not tried a briskett in the three months I have had my BGE but since I will be going to COSTCO tomorrow there just might be one the table this Sunday. I tried my first pizza tonight and it could not have turned out any better. I have been reading all of the posts recently about pizzas and just had to put the good advise to the test. You know, you would really have to try hard to mess up a meal on the egg--it is an incredible tool and damn fun to cook on!! Now, I better make my shopping list for COSTCO.[p]Larry

• Joel Ferman
    Options
    Big John,
    I got a costco brisket today.... small world. This should be an eggciting weekend, as I am doing tri-tip, hamburgers and a brisket this weekend!
    -Joel

• mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Options
    Big John,[p]Lordy..what is this COSTCO thing! I finally gave in and joined because they had the best deal on Foodsaver bags by far. I guess I'll stop by there today and snoop at the briskets. After reading all this...jeez...it sounds ridiculously good. Besides, I just ordered a new hit of DizzyPig so I'll be ready!!! Are we easily coerced or what? LOL.[p]mShark