Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question on meat temps from a first timer....

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just cooked on a new, large BGE (my first time behind the wheel) and overcooked a pork roast. I smoked the roast at 200 - 220 F for 3-3.5 hours and the internal temp was reading 145. I must admit I was scared by the warnings that came in the Egg book and in my meat thermometer instructions about Pork needing to reach 170 degrees internal. So I left it on longer for a total cook time of 4.5 hours. You eggsperts out there are no doubt shaking your heads back and forth and sighing.... Do I need to tell you it was dry and overcooked?
Please help. Is there a better rule of thumb on internal temps or on smoke times at certain temps for each of pork, beef and chicken that would prevent me from overcooking in the future? Or is this simply trial and error? I want to avoid the errors next time.

Comments

• Seattle Todd
    Options
    RBC,[p]I'm guessing the problem here was with a slow 'n low cook on a pretty lean cut of meat. Normally that method is more conducive to fattier cuts that benefit from the long rendering of the fat and the breakdown of the collagens in the tougher meat. You'd do better getting a pork butt and smoking it overnight to achieve a really scumptious smoked pork 'roast'.[p]The final cook temperature of pork is a hot topic these days. Some will say to still cook to 170 while others feel safe cooking it to medium or even medium rare. Your biggest worry with pork is trichinella spiralis. Of course any health risk is nothing to take lightly but I don't believe there's been a documented case from eating undercooked pork in the U.S. in over 20 years.[p]I've been eating 'undercooked' pork for years and so far suffered no harm. My personal choice after eating moist, succulent pork chops off of the Egg would be to abstain from eating anything but ribs and pulled pork if I had to once again cook it to 170 for health reasons. =)[p]Bottom line is to treat any lean roast like you would any other. Seared outside and then cooked to the desired done-ness. Low and slow would probably ruin the finest dry-aged beef tenderloin.
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    RBC,
    Yep, the standard thinking on lean cuts of meat like a pork loin is that low is slow is a bad thing. My approach has been to treat roasts like you would in your oven. Roast 'em at 350 until they reach the appropriate internal temp. Maybe finish 'em off at a higher temperature to form a nice crust. Keep trying. Think of all the lovely meat you'll have to eat![p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    RBC,[p]The standards on pork have changed from the old days. It is now acceptable to have a slight pink color in the middle on pork. I cook my loins and tenderloins to an internal temp of 150°. Perfect every time for my medium rare taste.[p]Jim