Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Frozen egg and butts

Options
Carbonizer
Carbonizer Posts: 188
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Put 4 butts on my large last night at 7:00 all was well at 11:00 bedtime.
Had full load of wicked good comp. and digi-Q controller on.
Fire was out this morning and egg is frozen shut--it is
-4 degrees here. Put mapp torch in bottom vent but still isn't opening.
Any suggestions on what to do with the butts when it thaws here? Have no idea what the highest temp the meat got to before the fire went out.

Comments

• Buster Dog BBQ
    Options
    I would say toss them. Not telling how long they were under 140 and if they even made it there. Did the tube freeze the condensation and not get air into the egg causing the fire to go out?
  • Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Options
    Sounds like it went out pretty early. Did you load lump with big chunks at the bottom so as to keep bottom grate clear? Also was there any build up of ash blocking air flow? Just rhetorical questions.

As cold as it is out there, I doubt the meat is hurt. I'd probably start again as soon as you get the thing open.
  • Carbonizer
    Options
    Have no idea what temp they got too, had at least 4 hrs at 225 deg when I went to bed, found fire out at 10:00 am today.
    Dont think condensation plugged up the tube cause the fan was on and blowing when I removed it this morning.
    I have 4 solidly frozen butts now.
  • Carbonizer
    Options
    Everything was fine for 5 hours or so--loaded the egg same as I have for 20+ long cooks.
    Wicked Good comp lump burns forever too!!
    Butt--none have been this cold outside though.
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Options
    Exterior temp should have little to do with your cook -- unless the bottom vent was facing into the wind, which I have discovered can make for a faster-burning fire...

~ B
  • Hardwood
    Options
    Hey Carbonizer,

That’s a shame about your butts. I wouldn’t take the chance trying to salvage the meat. The only good news is that you don’t have to worry about your butts rotting in the trash can while you’re waiting for garbage day.

I did a 19 hour brisket cook a couple weeks ago. It got down to 6 degrees and the condensation did freeze inside the adaptor restricting the amount of air the Egg was getting. I checked everything a couple times during the night and then went outside when I saw the fan running more frequently, instead of pulsating off and on. I cleared the ice out of the adaptor and then opened the sliding vent on the adaptor a little more.

This weather does take some of the fun out of egging. The only thing I might suggest is sending the wife out to check your butts a little more often.
    :laugh: