Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Here's one I haven't heard of yet....

Options
FrankC
FrankC Posts: 416
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Like much of the country, we've been having some very cold weather. I set out to make this pork loin....
http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_recipes&Itemid=71&func=detail&id=267
Had my roast marinated, went out to brave the cold, and...no, the dome wasn't frozen shut, but both of the draft doors were!

I persevered by hitting the draft doors with the weed burner for a short time, and they came open with no further issues.

Has anyone else had their draft doors freeze shut??

As far as the cook goes, everything came out great; did some grilled asparagus and romaine as sides...I think my new neighbors think I'm a little weird, but I can live with that!

fc

Comments

• civil eggineer
    Options
    Mine will after a long low and slow because of all the moisture inside the egg. I GENTLY warm them with my mapp torch prior to my next cook until they will open. The top cast iron piece could break if to much heat hits it suddenlt when its very cold out so use a little caution.
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Last winter bbqing ribs and the next day lower draft door frozen shut. Gently tapped it open with ash tool and I was good to go. I have silicone spray in the grooves and I think that made it easy to reopen. ;)
    I have on occasion placed the top vent inside on the grid after firing up to loosen the slider and daisy wheel when it's stuck with gunk.

Took a peek at the outside therm this mornin, about 8 below zeerow and a whippin wind. 5" new snow in the drive and I gotta get out there and clear it. Next is new ventilation for the kitchen fan so I gotta crawl in fiberglass across the attic to install new duct work and wall vent at the gable end. The existing vent going threw the roof is plugged with snow. The real problem comes when outside on the ladder second story hight when installing the vent cap in this wind. I'll wear plasic goggles to keep my eyes from freezeing shut.

When all is done I'll smoke some cheese.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Hey Clay,

The fiberglass guys at work preach rinsing your hands, arms, neck etc. in cold water first,(after the job is done) not hot water and soap It keeps the pores closed so the fibers can't get in.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Thanks for the tip. I could roll in snow... that would close up pores in a hurry. :pinch: :laugh:
    I hate fiberglass, my lungs are sensitive to the fibers and even though I wear a mask I end up coughing. Wearing hunting coveralls and gloves also.
    Procrastinating right now, think I'll go up after I have lunch.

I received your Thirdhand! Nice design. I'll be putting it to work today when I smoke some cheese.
    Thanks for a great product! :cheer:
  • Little Steven
    Options
    FrankC,

Pretty much every day this season. The eggs are sitting in an area that gets morning sun and shade the rest of the day. I think that's what is causing it.I just go round the edges with the mapp torch.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• FrankC
    FrankC Posts: 416
    Options
    Ok, so now I know it's not that unusual...getting ready to put on some country style ribs. It's going to be the first time I've done this type of rib. I'm thinking about rubbed, 4 hours lo 'n' slo, then some sauce towards the end. Does that sound about right?

fc