Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey cook time?

Options
ewillie
ewillie Posts: 155
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a 17 pound turkey soaking up Alton Brown's brine that I plan to cook tomorrow. Nothing fancy, but it's my first one and family is coming from out of town so I want it to be cooked well.

I have seen different cooking times, but I'm thinking around four hours at 350?

Also, I was thinking of using an inverted rack with the place setter and drip pan, but most of the photos I've seen here on the site show them in aluminum pans.

I'm not concerned about gravy, is that the only reason to use the pan, or does it deflect heat as well?

Thanks everyone!

Comments

• CNL
    CNL Posts: 96
    Options
    I cooked a brined 14 lb. this morning. The thighs hit 175 in 3:10 minutes. Dome temp of 325-350. I almost always get a 12-13 min per lb. outcome but I always cook by internal temp with poultry. I let it rest under tented foil for an hour and it was perfect.
  • Gandy Dancer
    Options
    I cooked this one at 325° 20 minutes per pound stuffed until breast registers 165° and thigh registers 180°. Platesetter feet up roasting pan on spacers on setter. Not stuffed 15 minutes should be good.
    IMG_0023.jpg
  • ewillie
    Options
    That looks great! i hope I'm that lucky tomorrow. I'm a bit worried about the wind and dropping temperatures here in Central Ohio, but I'm sure it will work out fine.

Thanks for the tips! Cheers, Erik
  • Basscat
    Basscat Posts: 803
    Options
    I've got a picnic shoulder humming away at 250 now with 25 mph winds and a wind chill of 4. Don't let weather bother you ;) It'll be great.
  • ewillie
    Options
    It was very cold and windy here in Columbus, OH today, as I'm sure it was for many of you.

I was laying in bed at 5:30 listening to the wind howling, and worried I wouldn't even get the Egg lit. With a couple of BGE starters and keeping the dome down, I got it to light, and then it caught really well. I had a nice orange glow by 7:00 AM, and got the temperature stabilized at 350.

I got the bird out of the brine, and microwaved the apples, onions and spices for the stuffing with aromatics. By the time it was ready in the rack it was nearly 8:00.

It cooked until nearly noon, but then I started losing heat. I was kicking myself for not getting it in sooner. I couldn't keep it above 300, so I brought it in and finished it in the oven inside. About 40 minutes in the oven, and basting it with the juices it was done.

Overall it was very moist, but I have to admit that after three days of brining in vegetable stock, kosher salt, brown sugar and spices, I expected a little more flavor.

Not bad by any means, probably better than most, and everyone really enjoyed it, but somehow I hoped for a little more flavor. I wondered if not finishing it in the Egg impacted it, but I'll keep experimenting, and based on the lack of leftovers it was a hit.

I really appreciate all the advice you all give me here. Take care, and I hope everyone has a happy holiday season. Cheers, Erik