Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Porkbutts tonight

Options
ric3677
ric3677 Posts: 278
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, so here I sit, thinking about the task ahead. 12:45 in the afternoon...the heat of the day. It's 1 degree out and -10 wind chill. Been snowing off and on most of the day, altho I did see the sun trying to peek thru once. Very short period tho.
Back to the Butts. Going to do 27 pounds total. 4 butts, two big ones and two smaller ones. I am definitely going to use the stoker tonight...taking no chances. I am thinking of putting the butts on standing up...at least til they have shrunk a bit.

Has anyone had any issues with the stoker and the cold? Supposed to get down in the -25 range tonight. I have it figured that as long as the grill temp is normal that the butts will cook normal. Meaning I don't have to allow any extra time. If I am off on this please let me know. I want them off at around 11 tomorrow and I am thinking about putting them on around 4 this afternoon.

The first thing I have to do is clean off the "sno-egg

sno-egg.jpg

Rick in Mt.

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Depends on how old your Stoker is.

There was a bug some of them that caused it to fail when the temp dropped below 32 degs. Best way to avoid that is to keep it inside something that will allow it's own heat to keep it warm.
  • ric3677
    Options
    I just got it this year...summer time if I remember.
    Thanks for the note Pete.
    Happy Holidays

Rick in Mt
  • Buster Dog BBQ
    Options
    Dont' have a stoker but have a digiq2. My tube into the egg gathered enough ice inside of it from condensation that it blocked the air flow. That was Sunday when it started off at 53 degrees outside and ended at 1 degree. Have not had that happen before and can probably say that was a unique event.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    I did a butt and brisket cook sunday night, temps just below freezing during entire cook. In the morning, the paver under the fan was wet, good size puddle ring. Reminded me that the condensation thing happens in colder weather. t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • ric3677
    Options
    I wonder if I tarp around the bottom of the egg...that should keep enough heat around the fan to keep it from freezing up?
    Going to have to get a rig from you Tom, that's too many Butts on the grill at one time. Hopefully they will cook down before I head to bed so I can lay them down and spread them out.

Rick in Mt.
  • ric3677
    Options
    Well the tarp seems to work fine....I am a bit concerned about the Stoker....lowering the pit temp just a bit, the numbers are really slow coming up. I bet if I was out there that long I would be moving slow too. I even have it in a cooler. 6 oclock...-6 with a wind chill of -21. the good news is that it's not supposed to get too much colder, yeah right, how many times have I heard that.