Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcocked chicken

Options
neumsky
neumsky Posts: 4
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
:P In reviewing the past threads on raising the chicken I did'nt see if using the plate setter was considered as one of the methods of raising the chicken as being a good method of raising it??? Anybody out there have the experience with this as this will be my first time tonight! I love the BGE, It beats them all as I have owned them all! I've had mine about a year now and can say, Yeah! Thanx... Jeff

Comments

• bitslammer
    Options
    I always use the plate setter or some other similar method with chicken. It's not as much for heat management, but to keep the fat from dropping into the lump and burning which gives of a very strong nasty smoke that can ruin the flavor of the meal in no time flat.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I usually do Spatch'd chicken direct, but it needs to be raised, or the flesh on the bottom is likely to get somewhat burnt before the top side is done. As a result of the reletive thiness of the butterflied chicken, and the direct cooking it goes pretty fast. Often I reach safe temperature in as little as 45 min. I usually crank the temp up to about 450 in the last 20 min. to ensure crispier skin.
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    I like to do chicken raised/direct(no platesetter) :) I haven't had any problems with the drippings,or maybe it's just not enough for me to notice :whistle: Anyway,it works for me ;) Just find something to raise the grid like this :)

001-13.jpg

018-7.jpg
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Oops, that should have read "last 10 minutes" not 20.
  • jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    Options
    The plate setter makes it an indirect cook. Not necessarily a bad thing, but I think most of us use the grid raised, but without anything between the chicken and the fire. You can raise the grid with fire brick splits, bolts, or as Sparky showed us, some scraps of angle iron. Doesn't matter, just get it up about level with the rim or a tiny bit higher.

Just to give a plug for a favorite way to do this, if you have a Large, take a look at the Adjustable Rig at ceramic grill store dot com.
  • DryFly
    DryFly Posts: 351
    Options
    Ditto! Raised to felt line, direct, at around 350.
  • Boogie
    Boogie Posts: 137
    Options
    I did mine indirect with the plate setter and it was amazing. I think I did it at 400.
  • civil eggineer
    Options
    I cook mine indirect above the platesetter with a drip pan. Right before going into my stomach, I remove the platesetter, raise the temp, and cook indirect 5 minutes a side to crisp.