Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Frozen shut

Options
Mike in MN
Mike in MN Posts: 546
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Imagine my surprise when I went to light Mr Egg, and he was frozen shut....solid. I was going to do chicken last night, but couldn't get the dome open. I used my electric starter dropped down the top vent, and a propane torch blowing into the bottom vent....20 minutes and no luck. Out of time and enthusiasm. Yesterday was miserable cold, windy, and we had gotten about 8" of snow that I had been cleaning up.[p]Tonight we wresteled Mr Egg into the kitchen to properly thaw out. Now there is a sight! After 1 hour, he was still one big green ice cube. I put the electric starter down the top vent and covered him with a blanket, and he finally warmed to the idea of opening up.[p]We wrestled him back into the cold, and he was ready for a couple of hours worth of service. Pork steaks, lots of smoke, and home made BBQ sauce. No problem. I think I'll prop the dome open about 1/4" to keep the top and bottom separated. [p]Any suggestions to keep Mr Egg from freezing up?[p]
Mike in MN

Comments

• Aron
    Aron Posts: 170
    Options
    Mike in MN,
    Now that you have it open, I'd suggest using a cover to prevent it from freezing. This is my first winter with the egg, and I had it freeze shut twice on me before getting a cover, and none since then. It doesn't have to be a fancy BGE cover or anything like that--just something that'll keep the rain and snow out, since they're getting absorbed by the felt gaskets and freezing together. I got a generic smoker cover at home depot for under 10 bucks that fits like it was made specifically for a large BGE. Now I use it every time after I cook (generally I wait a little while to put it on, just in case the hot egg would melt it--it's made of pvc). It's been through plenty more snow and hasn't failed me yet.[p]Aron

• Mike in MN,
    I know this is a little OT, but you said you make your own BBQ sauce.[p]Care to share? I'm always on the lookout for new stuff. Drop me an e-mail if you have time. Thanks![p]Brian

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    Mike in MN,[p]I'd like to have been a fly on the wall watching you grapple your egg into the kitchen. :~)[p]The couple of times where the lid on my large has frozen I've taken the cap off the top, fully opened the bottom vent and slid a lit webber starter cube under the grate. This will ignite any unspent lump and quickly thaw out the gasket.
    I've not tried it but I think if you were to lay aluminum foil on the bottom gasket after your cook, that barrier should keep it from freezing.[p]Beers!
    WD

• Aron,
    I use the BGE cover all the time and it still freezes up. To prevent this I place aluminum foil between the gaskets. The foil prevents freezing. Yet I am thinking about having a piece of thin metal cut to perfectly fit the gasket circumference. If it is a windy day, getting the foil in place can be akward, and a helper might be needed.

• Aron
    Aron Posts: 170
    Options
    ThunderThud,
    Guess I've been lucky. I tried the foil technique after the 2nd freezing and before my cover, but like you said it was awkward, since it always seems to be windy here. Your suggestion about the fitted metal piece sounds like a good one. I'll give that a try if my cover begins to fail.
    Aron

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    Aron,[p]I'll bet MickeyT is working on the metal piece as we speak!
  • Mike in MN
    Options
    Aron,[p]You are probably right, if I wasn't so cheap, I'd have a nice cover for it... Guess I should get something over it. It seems like the 2 times it froze shut was after a wet snow/freezing rain...so the cover would probably help.[p]I just checked it now, and it isn't frozen shut...even though we just got another inch of (dry) snow today.[p]There was another suggestion to try some aluminum foil between the dome and the base....I may try that too.[p]
    Thanks![p]Mike in MN

• Mike in MN
    Options
    Skwerl X,[p]For BBQ sauce I use a drip pan with:

(1/2 - 1) chopped onions
    4 - 5 cloves chopped fresh garlic
    a couple fresh chopped mushrooms
    4 bay leaves
    fresh basil
    dried oregano
    dried italian seasoning (basil, thyme, marjoram, etc)
    1-2 cups water
    1-2 cups red wine or marsala wine
    my variation of JJ's rub (about 3 TBSP)
    chopped jalapeno's, or crushed red peppers (How hot ??)
    Last night I also added some Old Bay seasoning

I line my drip pan with tin foil for EZ cleanup. Put the racks of pork over this and let 'er go. Don't let the drip pan dry out and burn....it should be fine for several hours. Add wine/water as necessary.

Once I get the meat off and it is "setting," I scrape all the cooked/smoked goodies out of the drip pan and into a sauce pan and cook it down further. I use my "motorboat" (immersion blender) to grind and pulverize everything.

Now the sauce is thick and as smooth or chunky as desired.

Add ketchup, seasoning, sweetness, vinegar, heat as desired. I start with ketchup, then a little vinegar, then some honey or molasses, Pickappepa sauce, heat.....

It makes a nice, smokey home made sauce.

Like all these cooking "tests," "Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't!"

Mike in MN
    realtor@isd.net

• Mike in MN,[p]Man that sounds great. I've never tried it like that but I'm gonna give her a whirl this weekend.[p]Thanks for the reply![p]Brian