Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Whole smoked goose

Options
Egganomics
Egganomics Posts: 7
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
any ideas for smoked goose?

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Here is one option.

Goose, Christmas, Irishhog

I cooked one a few years ago on a turkey cone, which I set in a stainless steel bowl to catch the fats. If you have never cooked goose be ready for a large amount of fat which if not collected will drip onto the coals and cause problems as it burns off. Prod the skin of the goose with a fork, but be careful not to go through to the meat. As the fat renders it will run out of the skin and into your collection bowl. Use this fat later for roasting potatoes, in Ireland it is traditional (but not very healthy) to roast potatoes in goose fat, because it takes high heat, and imparts great flavour. Boil the peeled potatoes for 3 or 4 minutes and then toss into very hot goose fat in a roasting tin, and roast in an oven or the egg for up to 1 hour depending on size.To go back to the goose, it goes very well with homemade apple sauce, and potato stuffing. Chunks of apple pushed into the cavity before cooking also impart great flavour.I cooked a goose for the open catagory of a competition a few years ago and scored second place in the competition. Goose is a lovely meal, but it is important to release as much fat as possible as you cook the meat, and believe me if this is your first goose, you will be amased by the amount of fat which is released.P.S. goose grease is also a good cure for stiff joints and back ache. Just rub it into the the sore area and you will get great relief, another Irish remedy to a common problem.

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Poultry

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Irishhog, 2007/12/19
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,770
    Options
    ive only smoked one on an old water smoker, you need a huge drip pan as the amount of greese that comes out is incredible, the one i did was a farm raised goose, not a wild goose, with those i believe you only cook the breasts. get a strong flavored relish for it. after cooking goose, ill just cook duck in the egg, not as greasey, and farm raised duck is greasy. get a big drip pan and watch it, you might be emptying it half way which is what happened to me
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    you go 250 for a coupla few hours? i think i recall you going lower and slower with duck.

i might do duck and venison. damn no idea what to do for christmas. this will be only the second year in my LIFE where i didn't have to go anywhere on christmas day.

i plan to be liquored up most of the day. gently number by the fire.
    hahaha

but first, let me know if the duck cook is a long slow rendering of fat. AB steams it to collect the fat, then pan sears or does a high heat roast. might do that.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,770
    Options
    its like a chicken thigh cook, if you like them more fat rendered and drier go low and slow, if you like thighs cooked moister with a little grease cook them hotter and quicker. i like the long cook with them, and a strong flavored relish or sauce to make up for any dryness, this one was a cranberry and blueberry sauce, both sweet and sour tasting, no recipe though i just made what i had on hand.
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=237371&catid=1
    i havent seen djm5x9 's post in a while, i think he goes 200 for about 5 to 6 hours spatchcocked. you need to prick the skin all over to help with the fat. when i cooked the goose years ago i did it on a water smoker on dads deck, too cold to get it up to temp so i put a galvy barrel on top to help insulate it, the barrel filled with the grease from the smoke and dripped a 3 foot diameter circle of grease on the deck that soaked right in, dad doesnt own the house anymore, but i still hear about that goose grease. that was maybe 20 years ago
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it