Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

superbowl, super party

Options
char buddy
char buddy Posts: 562
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was pretty down about this year's superbowl. My team - the Eagles - got beat by the Bucs and that's all I could think about. It didn't help that the headcoach for both the Raiders and the Bucs once worked for the Eagles. [p]Anyway I was too downhearted to make the truffled chicken with white wine I'd promised. Instead I did chicken wings and a side of salmon with nature boy's raging river rub. [p]These were hugh chicken wings that looked they came off of stewing hens. My usually reliable butcher called them 'party wings' and sold them dirt cheap. They were so fatty and poorly de-feathered, I took off their skins and let them sit overnight in a generic bbq dry rub. I have a basket that holds maybe 25 wings at a time and let them sit on a low fire - 220 for an hour (flipping at 30 minutes) until they got to 150-160º internal. I did about 60 wings this way in three batches. After they were done, I made a typical buffalo wings sauce (Franks' hot sauce (1 cup), plus 2/3's cup of butter, plus 3 tbls of white vinegar. I poured the hot sauce over them and kept them warm in an indoor oven till show time. The egg worked its usual magic and all game long folks kept saying that the 'party wings' were, "the best wings I ever tasted."[p]I let the salmon sit in a rum bath for an hour. then I covered it with a brown sugar and salt overnight. I washed off the sugar and salt, sprinkled on some ragin' river rub and let that sit on it for an hour or two, then cooked it at 250º until it hit 150º internal. The fish got raves and by the end of the evening I started thinking about how the Eagles might just go all the way - next year.[p]think I'll do a truffled chicken this weekend. [p]CB[p]

Comments

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
  • djm5x9
    Options
    chickencb.jpg
    <p />Additionally, I tried a slightly modified version of Larry's (YB) Chicken Cordon Bleu. QSis got me thinking about stuffed mushrooms so I whipped up a few stuffed shrooms with shrimp and crab. For a first try grilling, the chicken was very good, but slightly over cooked. I need an instant read thermometer for these stuffed breasts as the threshold for "right" is very narrow. I see potential with both and plan on doing them more frequently.
    [/b]
  • StumpBaby
    StumpBaby Posts: 320
    Options
    djm5x9,[p]Dat looks zactly like mommas famous flying squirrel dish. Momma uses the skin to make us clothes for the winter..this year..she made me some really warm undies..but she left the tail on....sometimes I get the strangest looks from Beulah..tomorrow I'm movin outta Beulahs room..that was one scary look. My brother Chris got lucky..momma made him some undies too..and she left the feet on his..momma says she done it on purpuse on accounta he's always scratching himself..this way..his undies will have built in scratcher..mommas always thinkin..but Chris said it's not all it's cracked up to be..on accounta he's gotta watch how he sits down .. cause sometimes it feels like he's at one of them ..what he calls.. insulting doctors appointments.[p]One thing for sure..the squirrel is always good..no matta what happens to us after that.[p]
    StumpBaby

• djm5x9
    Options
    StumpBaby:[p]You tell your Momma that I have a squirrel in a trap outside right now. Should I save it for her? If not, I will continue with my relocation program. I tried to get my boys to prep it for supper, but they just have not aquired a taste for tree rat . . .
    [/b]
  • StumpBaby
    StumpBaby Posts: 320
    Options
    djm5x9,[p]They got big feet ?[p]Maybe momma will take them..if'n they got big feet..I see Beulah is scratching something fierce..over in the corner..maybe she needs a pair of them squirrel undies with the feet still in em...course I also think I just figured out why the dog is always siffin around my brother Chris..you know...I autta ask momma if'n she remembered to clean them squirrels real good.[p]StumpBaby