Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey cooking time per pound

Options
dbacker
dbacker Posts: 10
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What would rule of thumb cooking time be for the Mad Max method? It looks like he did his at about 20 minutes per pound but I've also seen 15 per pound at 325.Any thoughts??

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Options
    You are correct. I plan on 15 min/lb. For some reason my turkey cooks faster than madmax's times.

Tastes great though.

GG
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    unstuffed, i get 15 min/pound for 325, 10min/pound for 350

editted> i should add, that's for 165 in the breast and about 185 in the thigh. i don't go as high as many recipes say
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Is it ok to smoke the turkey without a plate setter at these temps? WHat I have is the standard rack, an elevated rack, and a pizza stone.

I have a 14 lbs turkey. What would be the best way to cook with my setup. Large egg by the way.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    platesetter is just one way of going indirect. sure, if you don't have one, you can use a pizza stone as a barrier too.

could even get away with just a roasting pan, but the juices might scorch.

try putting the stone right on the grid. then a spacer, maybe a wire cooling rack, with the roasting pan on that. just a little airspace under the roaster is fine.

if you don't have enough room, you can take out the ceramic fire ring at top to lower the whole set up a few inches
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • This may sound dumb...but I wasn't anticipating using a roasting pan. Is that needed or can the bird sit directly on the grate?
  • Kew_el_steve
    Options
    Use the pan. Follow the recipe. Baste often...