Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Bose home entertainment system.......

Options
2»

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Listen to the comments from the folks that own the Bose… expensive but worth it. When you get to the high end audio equipment it is expensive. Just look at systems that produce Class A sound.

Why in the world would you pay so darn much money for a Big Green Egg when you can get a many other smokers/grills for a $200 to $350. It just doesn't make sense. What would you say to someone who came on the forum and say why pay so much for a BGE. Let alone why buy multiples BGE’s or have plans to buy more eggs. It just doesn’t make sense. Even in ceramic cookers there are different brands which we have all talked about many times over.

It is important to buy high end speakers for any system you put together.

I have always felt the money spend on Bose was well worth the quality I received. My choice was a mixture of Bose 901’s and some supporting MK speakers along with Yamaha Natural Sound audio equipment. High end Denon is also an excellent choice. This equipment is expensive thought and the quality is just amazing.

Two of my sons have the cube Lifestyle Bose systems and they are excellent sounding speakers and I like the smaller size. The sound quality in both their situations are excellent.

I agree the Bose are expensive but I have bought them and like them. For me it is much like the egg. Due to my location I ended up paying $1,100 for my large in a nest w/egg mates and a V rack and a bag of lump. It was expensive, I love my egg and it was worth the expense. I sure wish I could have gotten a fest package but I couldn’t and I am glad I have my expensive eggs.

GG
  • 70chevelle
    Options
    :blink: "A $100 system can sound great in the correct situation." Absolutely untrue, except for the poster who mentioned his inability to hear.

:sick: "You cant beat Bose for a 2 speaker system, period." Absolutely untrue also, again with the above exception. Bose is far (far, far, far) from the end all be all speaker. The original 901's and the next 2 iterations were interesting, and somewhat musical, but what they've done over the past 30 years is accommodate aesthetics with an acceptable sound quality, for the size. (ie: doesn't hold a candle to a 'real' speaker)

:pinch: "Multi speaker systems, I would go to full size
    speakers and not the small dinky ones." Quite the opposite. Multi speaker systems can do well with bookshelf or reference speakers as long as you have a good sub and can work the crossovers. Sub's are 'omnidirectional' so the human ear can't locate the lower frequencies. So you cross your sub over a few Hz above the lowest point your speakers can play. My HK receiver has comes with a mic to set up the speakers properly. You place it at your head height, where you plan on sitting and let her rip. I can make adjustments from there, but it's pretty good.

Not trying to be a jerk (well, maybe a little :evil: ) but the previous post wasn't very good information.
  • deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    Options
    contrary to popular belief, you don't always get what you pay for.

bose < BGE (in relative terms)

you can simply spend less money and get better speakers than bose.
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    I've got Cambridge Soundworks speakers. They are catalog only now, only one store left I think. I have always thought you get good quality for the money with them when it comes to speakers.

They used to sell onkyo receivers. Never was a fan. Went out and purchased a Denon,pricey but you only live once right?

As stated above, build your own system. If you are going to use it to play music too, that may change what you want. Maybe a couple of towers for your left and right front etc...
  • deepsouth
    Options
    i just googled bose lifestyle 30 and 35 and PLEASE DON'T SPEND THAT KIND OF MONEY FOR THOSE SPEAKERS.

look at these beautiful speakers.....

http://www.axiomaudio.com/epicmidi125.html

they even have a "factory store" on that page.

i bought separates from them since i wanted a bigger center channel and in wall rear speakers (easy to install).

http://www.axiomaudio.com/wallspeakers.html
  • ric3677
    ric3677 Posts: 278
    Options
    I have a set of JBL "Jubal" that I got before some of you were even born. LOL They work as well now as they did when I bought them. I just wish the rest of the stereo was as good as them.
    Disclaimer...I am almost as deaf as RRP...but my lovely bride who I have been married to for over 30 years can hear for the two of us. :)

Listen to what works for you. Nobody else hears it better than you do.

JMHO
  • deepsouth
    Options
    ric3677 wrote:
    I have a set of JBL "Jubal" that I got before some of you were even born. LOL They work as well now as they did when I bought them. I just wish the rest of the stereo was as good as them.
    Disclaimer...I am almost as deaf as RRP...but my lovely bride who I have been married to for over 30 years can hear for the two of us. :)

Listen to what works for you. Nobody else hears it better than you do.

JMHO

alot of vintage audio equipment is better than today's "technology".
  • Ross in Ventura
    Options
    I couldn't have said it better I have Bose Five speaker with a hard drive and a lg Egg and love them both!
  • WMK
    WMK Posts: 1,747
    Options
    GenesGrill,

I recently replaced my venerable, and much loved, KEF speakers with a pair from Paradigm. Several folks mentioned them earlier. Although not cheap, they compare favorably with speakers costing much more; and, pretty much blow away anything Bose has ever made (and probably ever will make).

Pairing these with an Anthem Statement D2 (Paradigm owns Anthem) surround processor/preamp/video processor is the heart (sans amplifier) of a system in a whole other league than Bose, Denon, Yamaha, etc.

On the other hand, the Bose systems, and most any other speakers/processors etc. not built into your TV will blow away the TV sound all by itself.

So, if you just need something to give movies and such a little more punch, I'll wager you'd be happy with Bose, Yamaha, Denon, etc. But if you're looking for something more "high-end", but still a good value, then Paradigm/Anthem is the answer.

Somebody mentioned that speaker/subwoofer placement and alignment is import -- that's very true. But it's true for any system, not just the Bose. In fact, the Anthem pre/pro I mentioned above comes with a microphone and computer software to analyze the performance of your setup and aid in getting the best sound possible. So, expect to spend at least a little time "tweaking" things to your liking with any system you choose.

Speakers in particular are a very personal choice. Some folks like brighter highs, some like them more mellow. So be sure to audition whatever you choose -- if you like it, that's all that really counts.
  • EGGTASTIC
    Options
    I have to agree with roanokesmoke. For 5 years of my life I pulled wire and installed home audio and theater systems. Bose has a HORRIBLE frequency responce curve! Our motto was 'No highs, no lows, must be Bose!' Just a 'bland' sound. We sold Paradigm, Klipsh, Boston Acoustics and Apogee. (This is BEFORE Paul Klipsh died and they started making these P.O.S that you buy at Circuit City.) I recommend you find a good quality home audio and video store. NOT a BEST BUY or CIRCUIT CITY and get a demo with a REAL home theater system. It is WELL WORTH the extra money for GOOD QUALITY stuff! You forked out the money for a BGE when you could be using e Chargrill! You bought it from a dealer who was into grilling and taste, do the same thing for you audio system! Just my advise!
  • deepsouth
    Options
    EGGTASTIC wrote:
    I have to agree with roanokesmoke. For 5 years of my life I pulled wire and installed home audio and theater systems. Bose has a HORRIBLE frequency responce curve! Our motto was 'No highs, no lows, must be Bose!' Just a 'bland' sound. We sold Paradigm, Klipsh, Boston Acoustics and Apogee. (This is BEFORE Paul Klipsh died and they started making these P.O.S that you buy at Circuit City.) I recommend you find a good quality home audio and video store. NOT a BEST BUY or CIRCUIT CITY and get a demo with a REAL home theater system. It is WELL WORTH the extra money for GOOD QUALITY stuff! You forked out the money for a BGE when you could be using e Chargrill! You bought it from a dealer who was into grilling and taste, do the same thing for you audio system! Just my advise!

that's good advice. i'd wager the original poster can actually find a much higher quality and better sounding system cheaper than the bose.