Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket

Options
James
James Posts: 232
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello:[p]Have had my Egg for a few months. Love the chicken on it. I am getting ready to try a Brisket. However, I don't understand how you can have enough lump to cook for several hours. How much do you start with and will it last for the 8-10 hours that is needed? Also is direct or indirect the corrrect way? The last few things that I have smoked I have used a pizza stone on the grill which leaves about 2-3 inches around the edge of the grill. Any recommendations?

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    James,
    Fill the firebox full, even going up into the fire ring area. That will get you 20 hours plus at 250. Indirect is best. Did you see some of the posts below (yesterday) on brisket? Some good info in there from several folks.[p]Enjoy! It doesn't get much better'n a good brisquet!
    Beers
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Gandolf
    Gandolf Posts: 906
    Options
    James,
    Listen to Nature Boy, he is pretty good at this stuff! Take a look at the advice in a couple of posts below. I've got a 6.5# flat cookin' along now at 250. Been on for just over 5 hours and is just beginning stall at 160. Gonna be good for the football games later.

• MrCoffee
    Options
    James,
    Good advice below on the amount of lump. I have cooked up to 18 hours at 225-250° with no problems. I started a brisket at about 6:00 this morning and it is going very well. This is my first use of the MickeyT temp rings and the egg is rock steady at 235° with a #2 ring.
    I just wrapped my brisket in foil for the remainder of the cook. Taaste buds are all set for a fantastic dinner about 4:30 or so and the leftovers will be vac sealed in serving size portions for later meals.
    Thanks to all for the great advice on cooking brisket and just Q'ing in general.[p]Terry

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Gandolf,
    LOL. Thanks, but I know just enough to know I still have a lot to learn![p]Football and Q....and brew today here as well. Sho do wish I had a brisket too! Looks like maybe steak, and a little seafood to round it off. The next best thing I guess![p]How 'bout them Maryland Terps?? Laid down number one Duke pretty hard yesterday. A great hoop game![p]Beers to you. Enjoy the brisket. I am about 15 minutes away. I might just pop in toting two pieces of bread and some Qfan brisket brew sauce![p]Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Gandolf
    Gandolf Posts: 906
    Options
    Gandolf,
    We'll save a couple slices for ya'! :~)

• James
    James Posts: 232
    Options