Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is this a good deal??

Options
Pharmeggist
Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Looking for Wicked Good Charcoal...

Found this deal free shipping.

http://www.charcoalstore.com/products/Wicked-Good/CH-1234.html

Eggsperts chime in please. THanks

Comments

• Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    In my opinion, Hell NO, it's not a good deal. What I don't know about you is what part of the country you live in, so what your supply base may be. Here, Florida, for the FINEest lump, we are spending $ .50 per pound, TOPS! That is for "greenwise", found at Publix. But as I said, that is top shelf. We are spending $7 -8 per 25 lbs, but of course we can pick it up ourselves. Unless you are in...I don't know.... igloo country?....you can do better. Also consider they do not tell you where the lump comes from. Be aware of the country of origin. Just my 2 cents, and I am sure Bubba Tim would agree with me.

Good cookin!
    Michelle
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    That is actually terrific lump, but that price is obscene.
  • Cecil
    Cecil Posts: 771
    Options
    Finest lump and Publix greenwise in same sentence?

Walt
  • Pharmeggist
    Options
    Thanks for the heads up.... I am glad I Didn't order it or I would be kicking myself right now :whistle:
  • Pharmeggist
    Options
    Where can I buy Wicked Good around Montgomery Alabama for a decent price??? :side:
  • Little Chef
    Options
    Have you smoked with the Publix greenwise lump? It has awesome flavor and aroma. No sparks, no crap. Try it. My point was, THAT is expensive at $ .50 per pound. Not $1 plus per pound as was found in this 'deal'.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    I have to agree with Little Chef, but only because you can get two 22 pound bags from a local source cheaper.

Two 22 pounds bags from me local would be $36.00

yes you can get other lump cheaper, but all I can say is you get what you pay for.
  • Little Chef
    Options
    Your best bet, in my opinion, is Royal Oak, regularly found at Pinch a Penny. You should expect to spend $14 TOPS for 25 lbs. Be aware, if it comes from Argentina, it needs more burn time to "warm up". It sparks quite a bit. US made is a bit cleaner. Either way, it will meet your needs. The internet deal, is NO deal. Sorry!
  • Pharmeggist
    Options
    We don't have an pinch a penny's in the greater Montgomery area... Royal oak is seasonal at wally world... I got six 101b bags at 5.27 per bag none left now at wally world :( So I will look for the lump at our Brand new Publix. I haven't gotten to use the WIcked good but everyone raves about it so much I would like to buy it! But I don't want to bend over and cough for it :laugh:
  • Little Chef
    Options
    Relatively speaking, yes, the Publix lump IS expensive, but it is very good. Just nurse it a bit, don't be so generous, or save the coals for the next fire. Stock up on the R.O. before the non-diehard season hits! (or speak to the wally world manager...perhaps you can strike a deal for a pallet!) Got a garage for storage? Keeps you smokin'!!! :P :woohoo:
    Good cookin'
    Michelle
  • Cecil
    Options
    I bought it on a couple of occasions and both times (even though a couple of months apart) it had a horrid odor when I opened the bag and there were ribbons and cardboard pieces in it.
    Perhaps bad luck but I tried it twice.

Walt
  • Cecil
    Options
    Check Home Depot or Lowe's they stock Cowboy.

Walt
  • Little Chef
    Options
    We have purchased it on several occasions with no complaints (except the price). I wish your profile was a bit more specific...perhaps your geographic location may have something to do with the lack of quality? Don't know where you are from, so can't begin to explain the difference in quality. Ours in So Florida has been great.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    well this publix lump is something i can comment on... i can get 8.8lbs for $5.25 a bag tax included. my publix is just now selling the lump. and every bag i have bought has been good. although it is not WG. it is very good Ro quality (the american kind).. so if you can only get that it is good a little expensive per lb but still good.. but the thing me and you can connect on is publix... the one here is the best store bar none if you have a new publix go in and introduce yourself to the meat manager. and keep shopping there and calling him by his name. all publix personell are told the customer comes first. i get my pizza sauce ther and they don't carry it anymore at my store... but the order it for me.. if you go to publix enough they will call you by your first name and will know you own an "egg".. proabably cause you will tell someone.. i don't sharpen my own kitchen knives anymore... the meat manager does it for me.. ;) not a place better to shop with... bar none...

back to the lump.. get some WG if you can but don't break your a$$ doing it.. it is good lump but there is no reason to not egg cause you can't get it

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Check with your local Ace Hardware store. They may not stock it, but they do carry the SKU in their system.

If you ask nicely, they may order some for you.

Same for Do-It-Best Hardware stores I believe.

Or if you want to really stock up, make a trek over to Columbus - there is a store there that sells it according to the Wicked Good site: Wicked Good Georgia
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    WG charcoal is some of the best out there and that is not a good price. There is a WG dealer in Birmingham. It is a fence company. You may want to check with them for pricing. It should be better pricing than what WG is offering to sell it to you for.

A group of us got a pallet load delivered to Nashville for 0.65 per pound. If you are interested, I have some 20# bags left. You are welcome to come up and I'll sell you some for what I have in them.

Gene
  • Willie Lump Lump
    Options
    The charcoal store is local (somewhat) to me. I have purchased a thermapen, rubs as well as a lot of Wicked from them. His primary products are not BBQ related. (see laserquip)
    The owner is an avid BBQ guy and I think he is offering wicked as mail order for those that don't have a local source. Shipping and handling a bulk item can't be much of a money maker.
    He indicated that he is looking to change and add other charcoals.
    I use Wicked when the cook really counts. If I am doing and expensive cut or have a lot of time and effort going into a cook I know a can count on it.
    I find Royal Oak to be very inconsistent. Some bags are great some not so great. My biggest complaint is the amount of non charcoal (fiberglass and rocks) as well as uncarbonised wood that I have found. I am a sorter and go through the bag because I don't like to cook with that junk in my EGG and you can ruin a cook with the uncarbonised wood.
    You can figure out what the economics are for yourself. Many times you will find the cost of fuel is not the big part unless you have ruined your cook because of it then it can be a huge cost.

Ta Ta For Now, WLL
  • HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    Options
    I just bought some at publix 5.00 for an 8lb bag. That's double what you pay at your publix.