Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

baked beans question

Smokin' Wolverine
Smokin' Wolverine Posts: 165
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Either tomorrow or Sunday I'm going to take my bean pot that I rejuvinated and seasoned for a test run. I'm going to cook baked beans the ribs. I was going to set the bean pot on the rack while I was cooking the ribs low and slow for about 5 hours at 250. My question is will this be a good heat and length of time for the beans?

Thanks in advance and Go Blue beat Northwestern

Comments

• depending on what type of beans your using, 5 hours is probably way too long ... i use bush's canned beans that have been doctored up with onions, green peppers, bacon strips, and my homemade barbeque sauce and i cook them for 1 hour at 350 ... if cooked longer the beans become too soft and mushy ... if your soaking your beans and starting from scratch a longer cook may be in order ... also, i have heard that you shouldn't cook anything with a tomatoe base in cast iron that has been freshly seasoned ... the acid eats away the seasoning ... and remember that after every use you need to coat the inside of the cast iron with a thin layer of pam spray, crisco, or cooking oil after washing with water only , no soap ... check the lodge.com website for proper care of cast iron
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,624
    not enough time for cooking beans from scratch, too long for beans from a can.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it